2018 Olympics in South Korea - Other Sports

This is where we can talk about things not included in the forums above. Still board rules apply, so no hurtful posts are allowed Exchange recipes, talk about your hobbies, there's been some great discussions about Downton Abbey, and so on.
kittykins

Re: 2018 Olympics in South Korea - Other Sports

Post by kittykins »

History repeats itself! That's so incredible! It's also interesting that Pierre L. is there to witness this live. I'm sure Dave M. is getting a charge out of it as well.

A conspiracy theory?! That's a bit silly. The bottom line is that the Canadian skip is young as evidenced by her decision to remove the stone. I don't read more into it than that, and as for doing better it may even be a confidence issue.

I do wonder about some female athletes that look like men, such as some of the luge competitors. I'm sure other countries besides Russia may be guilty as well. Hopefully the penalties for Russia will have some effect on the cheaters. I know that Ben Johnson's whole saga was a major deterrent for Canadians to be cheating. No one would want to go through what he did!!

There's one more medal, a bronze in slopestyle skiing, that I somehow missed on Sunday:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

There are cheater for every country. Singling out Russia is political only.
fred

Post by fred »

For those who are attached to such things as medal counts, Canada is ahead of both the U.S. and Russia. We are only behind Norway & Germany, it seems. These are wild times indeed. What's going on?
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

In the past Canada has had a lot of 4th place finishes and I think it's just development of our sports programs. Canada is definitely on the rise in prominence for Winter sports. One thing is that if Quebec wasn't part of Canada we would have a lot less winter athletes. Quebec is our strongest province for winter sport, no doubt. It's part of their culture there obviously.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Despite having a large population, Quebec's success is also partly due to the monetary support that their government provides and the support within their education system for those who are involved in sports training. We have been seeing this for a long time within Skate Canada. Although Duhamel & Radford were both from the former Northern Ontario section of Skate Canada, they are examples of athletes who changed their section, choosing to skate for Quebec.

As a friend said to me on Saturday, we have no chance against the USA in the summer Olympics but have a better chance to best them at the Winter Olympics :)
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Yes, that's very true!!

Canada's momentum has definitely been building for the past couple of Olympics, and maybe this even started in Vancouver.

My main criticism of the coverage is that it's so hard to see the medal ceremonies and they aren't showing the whole thing on their website. This time with Virtue & Moir they just did a composite with other gold medal winners. It's disappointing.
fred

Post by fred »

Yes I saw that. It says Medal Ceremonies and it's like an hour & a half long. Who would sit through such a thing, or spend their time searching through it for the one they want? Seems as though they have some youngsters trying to learn the ropes. (?) Medal ceremonies should be with the video of the event final of their respective sport.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The daily Olympic medal ceremonies are all held, one after the other, at a certain time every evening in the "medal plaza" at the PyeongChang mountain cluster - they are outdoors and the CBC picks up the international/Olympic feed which is made available in their videos.

The ceremony time translates to between 5 and 6 a.m. for those in the Eastern Time zone but it is also a time that conflicts with some of the sports that are happening live in the evening in PyeongChang. Some of those live sports are of national interest :)

That is something that is out of the control of national broadcasters, even the deep-pocketed NBC.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

At the very beginning of tonight's CBC Prime Time broadcast Scott Russell had Tessa & Scott in the studio. They played the two special videos linked in competition thread on a split screen, showing their reactions. He interviewed them and then closed it off with the video of them singing the anthem at the medal ceremony. This should be available on their video of tonight's broadcast, in due course.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

A bronze :)

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

And the non-NHL team for Canada moves on to the semi-final :)

Tonight our women go for gold against arch-rivals USA.

GO CANADA GO!!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Brady Leman won gold in ski cross (I think that's what it is called)

Last edited by Elizabeth on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Posted on Twitter by Natalie Spooner:
Gold medal game with these amazing girls!! Catch the game 1:10pm local time & 11:10pm EST! Don't miss it!! 🏒🍁
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Sadly, it did not go the way they wanted - Team Canada won a silver medal in a shoot-out!

Many figure skaters, past & present, from both Canada and the USA were in the audience cheering them on.
fred

Post by fred »

I'm on Atlantic time, of course, and I watched the game. Fell asleep at my computer during the overtime period and only woke up for the shootout. I had a sneaking suspicion that we coukldn't go on winning these games forever, and I was worried after the preliminary round, where the U.S. showed such energy. Oddly enough, during the second period, and much of the third, I thought we outplayed them.
The U.S. has been winning at the World Championships, and we usually take the Olympic Gold, but now, does this mean we get World's???
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

One could hope, Fred :D

Scott Moir may be asked not to attend any more Canada-USA matches in any sport - his presence was not lucky for the women in hockey nor for the men in curling this morning.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Canada has won its 6th all-time medal in the men's 5000 m relay - Samuel Girard, Charles Hamelin, Charle Cournoyer and Pascal Dion raced to a bronze medal.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Canada's first triple medalist - silver in the 1000 m for Kim Boutin.

kittykins

Post by kittykins »

That's great about Kim. I missed that this morning for some reason. Last night I had the game live streamed in my bedroom and I fell asleep, waking up just as overtime was starting which was a nasty shock since Canada had been leading when I drifted off. I watched and I do feel the better team won even though Canada feels they are entitled to win it every time. It's probably better for the sport if other countries win it some of the time. They couldn't keep that record forever. If it really was a "curse" then it's probably because the US player made fun of one of the Canadian players for losing her Dad...bad Karma no doubt. So, they didn't deserve to win after that which was really horrible, but now of course they are different players and can't be held responsible for the poor conduct of one individual from the past. It is really unfortunate that one player refused to put on her silver medal. I've only heard of that happening with Surya Bonaly at 1994 Worlds. That was not received well either. Sadly it just opened up Jocelyne Larocque for bullying from the American fans, making it worse for herself. Perhaps hockey players, as many as they are, should receive their medals later like everyone else. Then people would have time to calm down and it wouldn't be so humiliating perhaps. I might add that being a winner, is also knowing how to be gracious in defeat. It's just unfortunate and when such a thing happens it is embarrassing for the person's country. It sounds like she's moving on and I do appreciate how disappointed she would be. She can't really blame "youth" so much as she's about 30 years old. Honestly whenever Canadian hockey players win silver, I change the channel. This isn't because I am ashamed of their achievement, but because I find them to be such bad sports. They all cry and act like someone died and of course the cameras zoom in on the saddest person in the rink. I'd actually prefer Jocelyne's response to the spitting players in the world juniors one year. I haven't been interested in it since. Probably people made too much of her response, but she may be facing a fine, who knows. Certainly she was told it wasn't appropriate.

No one is expecting medal ceremonies to be shown live in their entirety. I just would like the whole medal ceremony to be on their website and also the national anthem played during prime time. If the best they could do was to put it on their website, I'd be okay with that. I resent that I'm having to get copies of this from other networks when it's a GOLD medal for Canada. I remember Vancouver because events were happening prime time more often that the National anthem was played a lot. Perhaps that was CTV then.

Yes, it's ski-cross for Brady.

I just saw an interview with some of the Women's hockey team and it was a great interview. This is why I think it's much better for people to have a cooling off period so they can look at everything in perspective. However, I'm sure some would say they would like to stand on the ice to receive their medals in skates, but it does make it hard when you have a negative reaction initially. Also there are a lot of athletes which makes it a bit tricky...off to watch skating, go Katelyn & Gabby!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Kelsey Serwa and Brittany Phelan race to gold and silver in women's ski cross, giving #TeamCanada its second straight 1-2 finish at an Olympic Winter Games
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Mika Poutala is the man who married my friends' flower girl! It sure is a small world! What a good sport he is and exemplifies the true Olympic spirit...there are a few who could learn from him eh?

Nuis gets 2nd skating gold with Olympic assist from Poutala

By Raf Casert | AP

Read article here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/o ... 8cd4c1efbc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Canada wins another gold medal - Sébastien Toutant becomes the first Olympic champion in men's big air!

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

After becoming the 2nd woman to win medals in all 3 individual short track speedskating events at the Olympics, Kim Boutin will lead Canada out of its most successful Winter Games. Congratulations to her!

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Just announced...

Papadakis & Cizeron will carry the flag for France in the closing ceremonies tomorrow.