2018 Olympics in South Korea - Other Sports

This is where we can talk about things not included in the forums above. Still board rules apply, so no hurtful posts are allowed Exchange recipes, talk about your hobbies, there's been some great discussions about Downton Abbey, and so on.
kittykins

2018 Olympics in South Korea - Other Sports

Post by kittykins »

Hi all. I'm just starting another thread to talk about other sports in the Olympics or other odds & ends.

I bought this cutest book about South Korea. It's a kids' book, but honestly it has all the basic information one would need about the country and it even mentions the Olympics at the end. It's great for kids, but adults too if you want a quicky summary of the country. It keeps selling out but if you wait a day or so they usually get more.
https://www.amazon.ca/Living-South-Kore ... outh+Korea

Are there any specific sports people are looking forward to other than skating?
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
kittykins

Re: 2018 Olympics in South Korea - Other Sports

Post by kittykins »

This is an interesting article about the North & South joining. I hadn't thought of them speaking a different language, but it would make sense that there are different dialects of Korean between the north & the south. Complicated!! Also, Canadians are helping them with their team...interesting.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/olym ... -1.4527697
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

On the plus side, the 2 Koreas, and asia in general have a culture that promotes togetherness.. Yes, I'm totally surprised that they have two different languages. I think they've only been separate since the Korean war and that's not long enough to develop a new dialect in my opinion.
Then at the end I was very angry to find a section where they totally lied about the Russians.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Chances are due to location there have always been different dialects only made more pronounced by the separation. It's still about 50 years isn't it which is plenty of time to two countries to grow even more different in their languages. In Canada there are a "chain of dialects" with the Cree language for instance meaning it changes across the provinces. So for example a Cree in B.C. and one in Ontario might have trouble understanding one another, but Crees in Manitoba and Ontario would do okay. This may happen in Korea as well. Those along the border may have language that is more similar and those at the extremes would be really different from one another. I've also run into differences with the French language here in Canada. NB French and Quebec French are quite different from each other for instance.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Another Gold for Canada! :)

Mikaël Kingsbury GOLD in Men's Moguls - This is a 3-Peat for Canada with Alex Bilodeau being the Olympic champion at the past 2 Olympics. I saw some interviews and he's a cute kid. He put a sign on the ceiling in his room above is bed when he was 10 years old, that said he would win Olympic gold. He said his brother just climbed up, crossed it out and wrote something like "he did", LOL! :lol:

Last edited by kittykins on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

So well done :)
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Here's an interesting article with tidbits. I love the heating pad idea:

http://www.cbc.ca/cbckidsolympics/blog/ ... r-olympics
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Silver and Bronze Medals for Canada:

Laurie Blouin won silver in Slopestyle - Yes, she has a black eye! I think it was from a training accident.

Max Parrot and Mark McMorris won silver and bronze in slopestyle. Mark is coming back after life threatening injuries after a training accident. It's a wonder he's even alive let alone doing as well as he is. He won bronze at the last Olympics as well. Interestingly it was Canada's first bronze last time too!

Ted Jan Bloemen won silver in the 5000 m speed skating

Justine Dufour-Lapointe, Silver in Moguls. She won the gold at the last Olympics and her sister won a medal as well. She's had a difficult year with their mother battling cancer so she is quite happy to win silver.
Last edited by kittykins on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The official link for Olympic medal results - there are links to show them by sport, by day, etc.: https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game ... ndings.htm

Canada has a total of 7 medals up to now, two of them gold, and is sitting in 4th place (the order is based on gold medals won). Kittykins has provided photos for those outside the figure skating discipline above :)

We are guaranteed a medal in mixed doubles curling, having qualified to the gold medal match against Switzerland :)

I believe that the projection/hope was for something more than the 26 medals in Vancouver. Off to a good start!
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I saw today that they are saying that Canada is tied for 2nd with the three countries that have 7 medals. I don't think that's exactly right. I believe what you said about 4th because it has to do with the number of gold medals, then silver, then bronze to "break the tie" I guess. Of course it's already changed in terms of which countries are "tied". Canada is doing well.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

CONGRATULATIONS to Kaitlyn Lawes & John Morris of Canada on the first ever Olympic gold medal in mixed doubles curling!! Kaitlyn has now won back-to-back Olympic gold medals, having been on the winning team in the women's event in Sochi - the first Canadian to do so. John also has two golds, just not consecutive.

Super game this morning!
Last edited by Elizabeth on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:34 pm I saw today that they are saying that Canada is tied for 2nd with the three countries that have 7 medals. I don't think that's exactly right. I believe what you said about 4th because it has to do with the number of gold medals, then silver, then bronze to "break the tie" I guess. Of course it's already changed in terms of which countries are "tied". Canada is doing well.
The official list is on the Olympics site and is based first on # of golds, then silvers and then bronzes: https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game ... ndings.htm [Some folks do base their lists/standings on total # of medals.]

With the overnight/early morning results, Canada is sitting in second right now!! [The columns on the right are for gold, silver, bronze & total]

1 - Germany - 4 - 1 - 2 - 7
2 - Canada - 3 - 4 - 2 - 9
3 - Netherlands - 3 - 3 - 2 - 8
4 - United States - 3 - 1 - 2 - 6
5 - Norway - 2 - 4 - 3 - 9
6 - France - 2 - 1 - 2 - 5
7 - Austria - 2 - 0 - 0 - 2

Moments after I copied this, the Netherlands moved to the top position :D
fred

Re: 2018 Olympics in South Korea - Other Sports SPOILER

Post by fred »

We beat Finland this morning, I think. No video up on CBC yet. It was a sound thrashing too. I did see a replay of Saulnier's goal, to make it 4 - 1. Finland was supposed to be a strong test for our women, but they cut through Finland like a hot knife through butter. What's with all these medals for Canada, anyway? We're not used to winning this much and it might endanger our Canadian humility.
Last edited by fred on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I love that picture of John Morris and Kaitlyn Lawes. It was definitely a great game. I tuned in about 6:30 a.m. I'm afraid when skating is on I burn the candle at both ends, lol.

Here are our two bronze medal wins for this morning. Yes, Canada beat Finland in women's hockey today too! :)

Alex Gough wins Bronze in Luge for the first time in Canadian history. This is the first luge Olympic medal ever for Canada.

Kim Boutin also won bronze in 500 m Short-Track speed skating - crazy sport, my nerves can't stand it, lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

A Couple More Medals for Canada...whoohoo. I've decorated my tree with medals. I'll post a picture later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fred

Post by fred »

But Canada 0 for 3 in curling. What's going on???
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

fred wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:48 pm But Canada 0 for 3 in curling. What's going on???
That would be in women's curling - the men are doing better and we have a gold in the mixed doubles :)

The young Team Homan is struggling :(
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:40 pm
fred wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:48 pm But Canada 0 for 3 in curling. What's going on???
That would be in women's curling - the men are doing better and we have a gold in the mixed doubles :)

The young Team Homan is struggling :(
I think a lot of people who know a lot about curling are pulling out their hair over this one. It sounds like she's making questionable decisions. :o I feel sorry for whoever was in 2nd place at nationals because they must be pretty disappointed, especially when they see how she is playing. Curling is generally one of our strong sports. I hope for some medals tomorrow but as I'm getting to bed so late, I think that I won't see much in the morning.
fred

Post by fred »

I'm wondering if she's got mental problems and she's deliberately sabotaging her own games. There is also the incident of removing the burned stone. Surely she knows she had no business touching it. How did she get to represent us in the Olympics without being able to do better than this?
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

fred wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:26 am I'm wondering if she's got mental problems and she's deliberately sabotaging her own games. There is also the incident of removing the burned stone. Surely she knows she had no business touching it. How did she get to represent us in the Olympics without being able to do better than this?
Rachel and her team are the reigning World Champions, Fred, and they won the right to represent Canada in a tournament while I was in Halifax in early December.

She was perfectly within the rules on the burned stone - there are three acceptable options and she chose one of them, probably not the one others might choose but not illegal.

Fortunately, they turned things around with a decisive win over Team USA in the most recent match :)
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

It seems she has a bit of a Tude. People felt it was unsportsmanlike, but it's apparently not uncommon in curling as Elizabeth said it's one of the options. However, she needs to remember that the whole world is watching. It might not have been the right decision from a "social" perspective. I had to look up what a burned rock was. I had no idea.

More medals for Canada to equal 5 of each colour. It's so good that Kim Boutin got another bronze after the death threats she has received. That's dreadful. How's that for pressure, yikes.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Well, the Canadian woman's curling team is doing better, but Japan looks formidable.
fred

Post by fred »

I *think* a burnt rock is one that has gone past the circles but not yet crossed the back line. They are usually removed, because they have virtually zero chance of scoring, but it's a courtesy to allow the team that owns the rock to remove it. It may be more important to some cultures than others how courteous one is expected to be. Anyway it's gone & passed.
What I am interested in now it this complete turn around for the team. Apparently they had a closed door meeting and suddenly everything was OK again. Was someone trying to sabotage the team? Why? So they've fixed it now, but they horribly lost 3 games and now they've won three in good style, like someone threw a switch. Something was going on.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:11 pm Well, the Canadian woman's curling team is doing better, but Japan looks formidable.
Japan turned out not to be quite the challenge feared. Since the match ended early, we got to see more ice dance on CBC :)

I don't think the turn around by the Canadians is the result of some conspiracy.

In the meantime, there are reports about finding Meldonium in the first sample from the Russian curler who was part of the mixed doubles bronze medal winning team. The results from his second sample are to be released today. Apparently he's blaming a fellow Russian (who didn't get to compete) for "spiking his food" during a training camp pre-Olympics....
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

And now a tie for gold in the two-man bobsleigh :!:

For the second time in Olympic history, Team Canada has tied for two-man bobsleigh gold, the first was in 1998. That time it was with the Italians, this time with the Germans.