Favourite TV Shows

This is where we can talk about things not included in the forums above. Still board rules apply, so no hurtful posts are allowed Exchange recipes, talk about your hobbies, there's been some great discussions about Downton Abbey, and so on.
kittykins

Favourite TV Shows

Post by kittykins » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:45 am

Hi everyone. What shows do you watch? Recently I took a good hard look at my cable bill as I was paying WAY too much. It seems shaw just kept adding things on without asking such as adding the channel Cottage Life and charging me $3 extra a month. I had never even heard of it. They also add new packages and if you are on an old package they don't change anything and keep charging you higher amounts. I think with the amount of live streaming most of us do now instead of standard TV, it's a good idea to write down all the channels & shows you watch and see how they fit into the packages/plans. I was able to cut my cable bill down by $46 a month and I may do it further eventually. I wish I'd done it earlier!!! :?

I mostly watch sports, including golf, but also like the channel The Frame which shows pictures and videos all day. Others are A & E as I watch shows such as Escaping Polygamy & the Scientology show. Of course the standards such as the Weather Network are on my TV a lot. I also like to watch classic movies or specials from time to time and so TCM is a good one for me. I WAS watching Switched at Birth while it was running. I also like Heartland and When Calls the Heart. I really don't watch TV as much as I used to. I have to keep an eye out for British themed shows on PBS...forgot last year. I do watch the news but am watching less of that too as it's so depressing. Also I can't stand watching U.S. politics which has taken over Canadian news as well. So, I do a lot of channel flipping away from news I don't like.

fred

Re: Favourite TV Shows

Post by fred » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:45 pm

The last time I has a television was around spring of 2008. I don't watch anything anymore. I was following Barcelona football, which was awesome, but in time I had to ask myself why. So I stopped, and occasionally I'll go back for a summary of a game or something, but I can say no to it when I have other things to do.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:48 pm

@kittykins - I think "Cottage Life" is the new name for the channel that used to do full broadcasts of skating competitions, complete with commentary by PJ Kwong. It was sold and "evolved" into something totally different.

happyheini

Post by happyheini » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:51 pm

MY advise is to call up Shaw and whine about being a long, long time customer, never being given a break etc. I did that recently and ended up getting "Blue Sky TV" (two PVR boxes) a better list of channels I actually watch and a huge price break for two years and after that the rate should still be lower than what I was paying till now (we will see). (I have TV, Internet and home phone with Shaw).

kittykins

Post by kittykins » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:59 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:48 pm
@kittykins - I think "Cottage Life" is the new name for the channel that used to do full broadcasts of skating competitions, complete with commentary by PJ Kwong. It was sold and "evolved" into something totally different.
Oh thanks Elizabeth. I actually wondered about that because I signed up for CBC BOLD to watch skating years ago. That's probably it. Anyway I cancelled THAT and am paying $3 a month extra for The Frame. I frequently put it on that when I can't stand what's on the news or other channels, haha. It's funny how things evolve with different channels and they still keep you on. Very strange indeed.

Yes Heini I know what you mean. I was paying a ridiculous amount and it was an old plan.

Fred you are likely better off, financially as well! My Dad doesn't like TV's either. He tolerates me streaming baseball and showing it on one plugged into the laptop, but that's IT.

fred

Post by fred » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:47 pm

My math professor didn't have TV until he was old and he became sick. His wife got it for him over his objections as he lay in his bed. He told me late that some of us are born to TV. Some of us aspire to TV, and some of us have TV thrust upon them! :lol: :lol:
For my part, I only have Internet and Home Phone. It gives me everything I can handle. If I had a TV here, I'd never get anything done, and it's all inane drivel anyway,... except skating & soccer, of course. :mrgreen:

kittykins

Post by kittykins » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:47 pm

:lol: That is very true Fred. How can one have hundreds of channels and there be "nothing on".

Does anyone else watch Leah Remini's program about Scientology? It's hard to watch a lot of the time but I've been watching and also I've ordered her book as I can't get it on my kobo in English (only German).

I've also been watching "Escaping Polygamy" but it's on some kind of hiatus. They didn't tell people what they were doing, so it's easy to become uninterested in that one.