A sad note today.

I will post board issues here, and announce when I am going to prune old messages, or try another update. (It'll be a long time before I try that again). But if you're having problems with the board, I certainly do, or if you have a request about a feature, then this is the place for that.
fred

A sad note today.

Post by fred »

About an hour and a half ago Clawdius came in from his morning outing. I was on the computer and didn't see him come in but I heard him call from the kitchen. I went in there and he had disappeared, so I put some food out for him and called him to say it was there. He didn't come to it,which was unusual. I went back to the computer and I could hear him calling and then there was frustration and fear in his voice. So I went looking for him.

I found him under the morris chair in the living room, and he wasn't coming out so I talked to him and coaxed him to come out. When he came I could see that his hind legs weren't working, and my heart sank.

I called a vet and told them what had happened and she said bring him in, but it sounded like a thrombosis and if so there would be nothing they could do to help.
I got a friend to take us to the vet who agreed right away that she would come in on a Sunday morning. Poor Clawdius was howling and he didn't like the car ride, He never has liked car rides.

When I got to the Vet's she confirmed it and they first gave him a sedative, which she said contained a bit of a narcotic. So he would feel better and then with another injection he was gone. So he's out of suffering and with many of my other cats who have gone before him.

About 9 years ago I rescued him from being sent to the SPCA and being put down then, and I didn't know how many weeks or months or years we'd have together. It turns out we had a good stretch and since Spring it's been just he and I living here together. It was what he wanted mostly, and we have had a good time overall.

I'm going to bury him here at home. It's the end of an era, and the last cat I'll take care of. It was getting hard lately, but I gladly made him my priority. It was on my bucket list to outlive Clawdius so he would never have to go with others who wouldn't treat him as well. He wouldn't have liked that. So that's done.
The vet said he was showing signs of a heart problem, and that may have given rise to the blood clot.

When I got home I heard a howl from up on the hill, where he used to hunt, and I knew it was his voice. I believe he was saying goodbye to me. I'm hoping that so many of the cats that have gone before him, that I have looked after, will welcome him and look after him till I get there, in the fullness of time. He's not suffering any more, and that's the best that I could do for him.

Peace, everyone!
Elizabeth

Re: A sad note today.

Post by Elizabeth »

It is always hard to lose a feline family member, Fred. You gave him a good home for 9 years.

My thoughts are with you.

I experienced something very similar very early on a Sunday morning back in 2013.

Clawdius has crossed the so-called Rainbow Bridge to join so many cats who have gone before him.

(((Hugs)))
fred

Post by fred »

Thank you. Yes, I know all this, but it helps to hear it from a friend. It all happened so fast. He was here this morning at 7:30 approx. and then by 9:00am he was already dead, and by noon he was buried and gone. His body is resting in a part of the property here where he had been hunting, frequently in life. They were some of his finest moments.

Now it makes sense, because for the last 5 or 6 years he'd occasionally throw up and no one knew why. Now it makes sense that it was his heart condition that eventually gave rise to the blood clot. There were some other behaviours in the past 4 or 5 months that in hindsight might have been related. He was given to isolating himself, especially at night. A sign that something didn't feel right with him.

That was my last cat. I can't take care of a cat any more. I'm getting too old, myself. One of the items on my bucket list was to outlive Clawdius, so he would never have to be without me. I didn't know it would come so soon or unexpectedly, but I can check that one off now.
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

Fred, I am sorry that you had to part with your beloved pet, you did the right thing so Clawdius didn't have to suffer longer than he should. We had to say good bye to the one and only dog we loved many, many years ago but I remember the feeling of loss and to this day I think of Pascha, especially when I meet other dogs on my morning walks.
Take care and send us a selfie with your new bike.
Heini
fred

Post by fred »

I'd have to do a time consuming upload to get the image to you. Give me a little while, and remind me if I forget.
I'm healing quickly, maybe because I've looked after quite a few cats in my time, and they don't live as long as we do. I'm confident I'll see them all again in the fullness of time. Thanks for your kind words.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I'm so very sorry Fred! Our pets are always like family to us.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

Thanks Everyone. Clawdius was a wonderful cat for me. When I was on the computer he would come and I'd put my arm across my stomach. he would lie on that with his head resting on my elbow, and I'd have to type one handed, which I'd gladly do till my arm started cramping up and then I'd have to ask him to go elsewhere. He never complained, but he did like to be with me, and I with him. Anyway I don't have to worry about him any more. There are many cats that are waiting for me, and I'll join them in the fullness of time.