So Sorry!

I will post board issues here, and announce when I am going to prune old messages, or try another update. (It'll be a long time before I try that again). But if you're having problems with the board, I certainly do, or if you have a request about a feature, then this is the place for that.
Unclefred
Site Admin

So Sorry!

Post by Unclefred »

Well friends, I am so sorry that the update failed so miserably. The new software installs perfectly, so it says and the restore of the backup, according to the board, is successful, but when I went to the Board Index page, none of the forums nor messages nor users were in fact restored.
We have now the 3.2.0 version of the Board software, (the version we've been using since March 11th or so. The old board is still readable in it's old place, as far as I know. The down side is that everybody will have to re-register and hopefully use new passwords.
I'm going too keep looking for what the problem is. I tried the update & it failed, Then I tried a full reload and it failed the same way. A couple of times I deleted the database & rebuilt that from scratch. Same results! Nothing works with phpBB anymore. i don't know why and the assistants at the help board don't seem to have a clue what to do. So here we are. It something comes up in the next week or so and I think I can fix it then I'll try that, but it might mean loosing any posts that we make between now & then. i don't like that either. We'll see what we can do.
Please, everybody, re-register soon and I'll try to hold everything together. I've got work to do yet. the OffTopic Forum must be re-created and I've got ot set up the security that keeps the bots from registering. I'll try to do that tonight.
Elizabeth

Re: So Sorry!

Post by Elizabeth »

Sorry for your troubles, Fred.

I've re-registered (with a new password) and created a post about the JGP but it says it's waiting for approval.
Unclefred
Site Admin

Post by Unclefred »

It's still all messed up. Somehow I tried to set it so I had to approve registrations, but instead it's set so I have to approve every post. I'm not sure I can find where that gets changed. I'm looking.
Unclefred
Site Admin

Post by Unclefred »

I got an idea last night & I tried it this morning, but it didn't help at all. So hey, everyone, this is the best I can do, and it may be alright if I never try another update. What I will do is look into using a different board program, because I'm not very happy with phpBB anymore. It's huge, cumbersome, and virtually impossible to update.
I can't do much today, because I have commitments around mid day, but I don't know what I might manage to discover sometime soon.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Sorry you're encountering so many problems, Fred!
fred

Post by fred »

I'm looking around at other bulletin board programs and may try one or two of them out to see how they work. I won't do that today. I was hoping to get the update done in an hour or two, but it seems impossible with this software. The trouble is, that without a safe way to update the programs. we miss out on new features that make handling spam more easy and so on. Over time the board becomes obsolete and difficult to maintain. I might even find one that allows old messages to be transferred to the new board software, but I'm not promising anything.