What do people think?

I will post board issues here, and announce when I am going to prune old messages, or try another update. (It'll be a long time before I try that again). But if you're having problems with the board, I certainly do, or if you have a request about a feature, then this is the place for that.
fred

What do people think?

Post by fred »

We've had no returning members register for some time now, and I think all those that want to are here now. In order to minimise the possibility of spam and to eliminate the requirement for my logging in 2 or 3 times a day to delete 'bots registrations, what I could do is close the registration page, and if anyone needed to register, they could email me and I'd set up the account. Do you think it's time, or shall we wait a while longer?
Elizabeth

Re: What do people think?

Post by Elizabeth »

That probably sounds like a reasonable approach, Fred.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Yes, I think that's a good idea Fred.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

It's done now. I might just post a "sticky" message at the top of the Skate Forum to draw attention to the fact that people wishing to register must email me first. I wouldn't want anyone to be misled and wander off rather then registering. It may be somewhat attention getting, colours & flashing text, that sort of thing. Any objections? I don't want existing members to be put off with seeing the thing every time they go to read messages. I just don't think the announcement in the blue banner at the top is going to catch any new-comer's attention.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Hi. I think that's clear. There are other boards that have to e-mail to join, so I don't think most people will get confused.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

fred wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:03 pm It's done now. I might just post a "sticky" message at the top of the Skate Forum to draw attention to the fact that people wishing to register must email me first. I wouldn't want anyone to be misled and wander off rather then registering. It may be somewhat attention getting, colours & flashing text, that sort of thing. Any objections? I don't want existing members to be put off with seeing the thing every time they go to read messages. I just don't think the announcement in the blue banner at the top is going to catch any new-comer's attention.
Something to stand out a little more wouldn't be terrible, Fred :)
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

I think the "sticky" is a very good idea and also suggest if it is not too much trouble, to send some of our former regulars a personal email invitation to re-join. For instance is Carol H here?
fred

Post by fred »

No she isn't. You know to see the members list, just pull down the "Quick Links" menu in the upper left just under the Blue Banner. You'll find "Members" second from the bottom and that will give you the full list.
I've sent 3 letters to former regulars and we'll see who responds.
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

OK I think that's all you can do Fred. I am really happy to be part of this small group. I know I wouldn't have been so keen on Figure Skating any longer if we wouldn't get all that fantastic info from Elizabeth. Thank you to both of you, Fred and Elizabeth
fred

Post by fred »

I have a couple of responses, we're setting that up now. Yes I think Carol will be back and another.
OK I'm opening up the registration again and we'll see how it goes.