Patrick Chan rejuvenated by move to Vancouver

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Patrick Chan rejuvenated by move to Vancouver

Post by Elizabeth »

Since Skate Canada International Patrick has apparently been travelling and training in British Columbia. It seems like a strange arrangement but whatever works, I suppose.

Read all about it here: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winte ... -1.4455396
happyheini

Re: Patrick Chan rejuvenated by move to Vancouver

Post by happyheini »

Seems to me like a lost soul....
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I think this is wonderful news! He has connected with some good people in the sport and I think this is promising for him. Patrick is just ready to move on to other things. He's been in the spotlight since he was about 15 and really much before then...the poor guy must have had it with the fishbowl life he leads. He's made some mistakes and tends to say what he's thinking to the media, but he's represented Canada well. Although he is a longshot for a medal, remember the unexpected generally happens at the Olympics. I will be thrilled to be retired while watching this Olympics!! :mrgreen:
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I think we're all emotionally drained wondering what Patrick will do next!!

All of this reminds me of the Michelle Kwan period where she couldn't stick with a coach, and even went to competitions at times without one. When you are the best in the world for so long, I think it becomes more and more difficult to trust someone who's never done what you've done.

I've heard it mentioned recently, that in the past, skaters who won world and/or Olympic medals would quickly turn pro and cash in on the $$$ while still doing what they loved and exploring artistically. These days, there simply is not the pro circuit that there used to be, and skaters are staying in competition much longer than they normally would, just to make a living. Their bodies and lives have moved past the time that they can train day in and day out, yet they are loathe to let go because of the loss of money. Adam Rippon's comment about finishing his long program even though he dislocated his shoulder seems to speak to this - "I'm here. I want my cheque!!"
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Kevin wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:36 pm All of this reminds me of the Michelle Kwan period where she couldn't stick with a coach, and even went to competitions at times without one. When you are the best in the world for so long, I think it becomes more and more difficult to trust someone who's never done what you've done.
Yes, there are a lot of similarities between the two situations. I believe Michelle had the same coach as Gracie Gold and there were some problems there. I'm not meaning to point fingers, but often there is more behind the scenes that people know nothing about other than the people directly involved. So, it's best not to pass judgment.

All I can say is I hope an artist like Chan can pull off winning the Gold medal instead of one of these jumping-beans. I think the only reason Patrick is still in the sport is because he let that gold medal get away from him 4 years ago.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:26 pm
Kevin wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:36 pm All of this reminds me of the Michelle Kwan period where she couldn't stick with a coach, and even went to competitions at times without one. When you are the best in the world for so long, I think it becomes more and more difficult to trust someone who's never done what you've done.
I believe Michelle had the same coach as Gracie Gold and there were some problems there. I'm not meaning to point fingers, but often there is more behind the scenes that people know nothing about other than the people directly involved. So, it's best not to pass judgment.
The only coach that Michelle & Gracie shared would appear to be Frank Carroll -
  • Michelle Kwan:
    Former coaches - Rafael Arutyunyan, Frank Carroll, Scott Williams
    [There was also a period where Michelle's father was with her at the boards.]
  • Gracie Gold:
    Current coaches - Marina Zueva, Oleg Epstein
    Former coaches - Frank Carroll, Alexander Ouriashev, Toni Hickey, Susan Liss, Amy Vorhaben, Alexia Griffin
fred

Post by fred »

You're knowledge/research is always amazing, Elizabeth. It's like you're an encyclopedia of figure skating facts. Sometimes you freak me out a little, (in a good way). :D
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:01 pm
kittykins wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:26 pm
I believe Michelle had the same coach as Gracie Gold and there were some problems there. I'm not meaning to point fingers, but often there is more behind the scenes that people know nothing about other than the people directly involved. So, it's best not to pass judgment.
The only coach that Michelle & Gracie shared would appear to be Frank Carroll -
  • Michelle Kwan:
    Former coaches - Rafael Arutyunyan, Frank Carroll, Scott Williams
    [There was also a period where Michelle's father was with her at the boards.]
  • Gracie Gold:
    Current coaches - Marina Zueva, Oleg Epstein
    Former coaches - Frank Carroll, Alexander Ouriashev, Toni Hickey, Susan Liss, Amy Vorhaben, Alexia Griffin
Yes, that's what I was meaning. Thanks for the other info. regarding the other coaches involved.