Skating injuries taking their toll in this Olympic season ...

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Skating injuries taking their toll in this Olympic season ...

Post by Elizabeth »

Yuzuru Hanyu is still not fully recovered from his knee injury - from Kyodo News on December 10th:
Defending world and Olympic men's figure skating champion Yuzuru Hanyu has yet to return to the ice after suffering an injury that forced him out of last month's NHK Trophy, Japan Skating Federation director Yoshiko Kobayashi revealed Sunday.

According to Kobayashi, Hanyu is still feeling the effects of a right knee injury sustained during practice on Nov. 9, casting doubts over his participation at the upcoming national championships.

Kobayashi said Hanyu told her his condition has improved, but that he has not trained on the ice at his base in Toronto because he is still experiencing soreness in the knee.

He said he is undergoing treatment and rehabilitation.

Although the Dec. 21-24 national championships in Tokyo serve as a qualifier for February's Pyeongchang Olympics, Hanyu is virtually guaranteed to represent Japan at the games, having met the selection criteria through his No. 1 world ranking and other results.

Asked about Hanyu appearing at the nationals, Kobayashi said, "It is an important selection competition, and the Olympics are a big goal, so with that in mind we would like to think things through together."

Hanyu fell while attempting a quad lutz during official practice for the NHK Trophy, the fourth event of the Grand Prix Series, injuring the lateral collateral ligament in his right knee and also hurting his right ankle.

He said on Nov. 12 that he would need 10 days of complete rest in order to regain fitness in time for the nationals.

"I have been told by the doctor that I need 10 days of complete rest," Hanyu said through the JSF. "Following that, it will take three to four weeks to return and get back to where I was (physically)."

According to IceNetwork, Russian media are reporting that Anna Pogorilaya's back injury will keep her out of Russian Nationals and thus end her season:
Russian media reports that 2016 world bronze medalist Anna Pogorilaya will not take part in Russian nationals next week because of a back injury, and as a result, her season is over.
An injury in practice has taken James & Cipres out of the French Nationals:
James-Cipres out from French Nationals. A bad fall during a quad throw attempt at practice in Nantes yesterday. Her left shoulder is injured

A further report on Vanessa via Twitter:
It should be ok. Just precaution. She was able to resume training today, by herself. No Pairs lifts for instance
Elizabeth

Re: Skating injuries taking their toll in this Olympic season ...

Post by Elizabeth »

And today there's more news of Yuzuru from Kyodo News:
Yuzuru Hanyu could be out longer than expected because of injury

Sochi Olympic champion Yuzuru Hanyu has sustained ligament damage to his right foot and may be sidelined longer than expected, Japan Skating Federation director Yoshiko Kobayashi said Wednesday.

Should the two-time world champion continue to take time off skating and delay his preparations for the upcoming national championships, he could miss the Dec. 21-24 competition in Tokyo that also doubles as a qualifier for the Pyeongchang Winter Games.

“It became apparent that I injured my ligament, which normally takes longer to heal than a sprain,” according to a statement from Hanyu read out by Kobayashi.

“The plan is to take the ice and start with basic moves like strokes and crossovers mainly on my left foot, then gradually work my way up to turns using my right foot,” the statement said.

Hanyu, who is currently back at his training base in Toronto, had said through the JSA on Nov. 12 that he had been told by his doctor he would need 10 days of complete rest and guessed he would regain fitness in three to four weeks.

Even if Hanyu misses the national championships, he is practically assured of an Olympic berth based on his No. 1 world ranking and other criteria. At this point he has expressed his desire to compete, according to Kobayashi.

Hanyu sustained the injury to his ankle and knee while attempting a quad lutz during practice at the NHK Trophy on Nov. 9.

The 23-year-old became the first Japanese to strike Olympic gold in men’s figure skating in 2014, and is looking to become the first man in 66 years to capture back-to-back Olympic titles. American Dick Button did it last at the 1948 and 1952 Games.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I really feel for these athletes. The stakes are so high, and it must be so difficult to wonder if your ultimate life's dream is over before you even have a chance to take a swing at it.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Yuzuru Hanyu has now withdrawn from the Japanese National Championships but continues to focus on the Olympics: https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2017 ... njury.html
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

From International Figure Skating magazine via Twitter:
Evgenia Medvedeva is out of Russian nationals this week according to Russian news reports. Her cast was removed a week ago and she needs to take care of her leg. She will continue to prepare for Europeans.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

It's really too bad about Yanyu!!! I feel for the skaters who are injured. That would be so disappointing for them in this Olympic year!
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

From Tatjana Flade (long time multi-lingual translator working for the ISU; sometimes seen translating in the Kiss 'n Cry) via Twitter:
Coach confirms: Maxim Kovtun withdrawn from Russian Nationals. Could not get into shape b/c of back injury. But he wanted to try.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

According to a report on Twitter:
JSF had a meeting with members of Yuzuru Hanyu's team on the 16th, and were informed he would be ready for the Olympics. Kobayashi was told he has been on the ice a bit (but was not jumping yet). He will not be competing at 4CC and go straight into Pyeongchang.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I'm glad...this should definitely be interesting!! Thanks for the info.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)