Anyone else still having trouble viewing the LIVE FEED from France?

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
CarolH

Anyone else still having trouble viewing the LIVE FEED from France?

Post by CarolH »

Hi All:

I'm still not able to watch any of the LIVE FEED from these skating events. I get the commercials, then the video stops about 5 seconds after the skating begins. It's happened during all of the Grand Prix events....
I've tried going directly to the CBC site but the same thing happens.
Any suggestions?
Carol
fred

Re: Anyone else still having trouble viewing the LIVE FEED from France?

Post by fred »

I can get a bit, at http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winte ... -1.4402916 And select the video you want from the Left hand side column There is one for 10:55 which I am watching now. Yes there seems to be too many people trying to access the site but a few seconds patients & this is working. I can go full screen with it without dropouts.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I am not having any problems - I have been watching live (and full screen) since the 9 a.m. start. This time I didn't even have to change "channels" between the ladies and short dance as the stream continued to run during the ice resurfacing.

Carol - how are you trying to access the stream? I understand that some folks cannot run the video from a tablet or similar device.

I have not had any problems watching any of the CBC live streams (or the archived video) through the GP - I'm using my laptop.
CarolH

Post by CarolH »

Hi Elizabeth:
I'm using my regular Desktop computer....I can get other videos and UTubes but not this.
The fact that I'm getting the complete commercials...and only 5 seconds of the skating puzzles me. Then the
message comes up about the video feed has *timed out*.
C
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Well that is indeed strange, Carol :(
fred

Post by fred »

What browser are you using? Firefox, Chrome? Some handle different video formats better. Firefox has plugins that play different formats, and Adblocker Plus that get rid of the advertisements, usually even on the video itself. (It's very seldom that I ever see an ad.
The other thing you can sometimes do is to use a "proxy server," if you're being blocked because you're in the wrong country. They can often charge a fee, but they are sites that take your request for the video and retransmit it as though it came from a computer in a country for whom they intend to broadcast. Then they re-tansmit the signal to you and you can watch it.
I can usually find a way to watch the video without that, however.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Carol's problem can't be a "geo-blocked" situation (i.e. wrong country) as it is CBC video and she's in Canada :) If that were the problem she'd be getting a different message.
fred

Post by fred »

Oh, OK. It must be something else then. In Linux I have access to several browsers and I use "Midori" for the skate board. It sometimes gives me problems with video, but I use Firefox as my main browser.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Based on advice from you several years ago, Fred, I too use Firefox as my browser.
fred

Post by fred »

Are you happy with it? Do you use the plugins?
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Yes, I am happy with it. I use a couple of plug-ins.