Karen Magnusson Speaks After Tragedy at Rink

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
kittykins

Karen Magnusson Speaks After Tragedy at Rink

Post by kittykins »

Wow, she's right!! :o I don't mean to sound trite, but I'm glad she's looking a bit better than she was a couple of years ago. I know she continues to suffer and that is such a horrible tragedy. However, she IS glad to be alive! If only those 3 men had not lost their lives!!

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/skating-ch ... -1.3642721
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Re: Karen Magnusson Speaks After Tragedy at Rink

Post by fred »

I hope arenas across the land have a program of refrigeration inspection that will make sure this never happens again. The accident and it's consequences should be part of any training that inspector's receive. That way they'll not only go through the motions of checking their systems, but they'll make sure their checks are complete and thorough.
Best wishes to Ms Magnusson for improved health. She's a Canadian heroine.
Elizabeth

Re: Karen Magnusson Speaks After Tragedy at Rink

Post by Elizabeth »

The recent event in Fernie was very sad, with the loss of the 3 workers. Thankfully it wasn't any worse, involving skaters, coaches, or members of the public.

I remember that Karen was fighting for some form of worker's compensation but never heard if she was successful. As I recall, there was a question about who she was employed by, etc. I certainly hope she was!

I certainly hope that steps will be taken to prevent any further injuries or loss of life from this cause :(