US Nationals overlapping the year end - San Jose, CA

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

US Nationals overlapping the year end - San Jose, CA

Post by Elizabeth »

Prudential US Figure Skating Championships in San Jose, California at two venues - Dec. 29, 2017-Jan. 7, 2018

Schedule:
Solar4America Ice at San Jose

Friday, Dec. 29, 2017
9:15 a.m. - Juvenile Girls Free Skate
10:40 a.m. – Juvenile Boys Free Skate
12:25 p.m. – Juvenile Pairs Free Skate
3:00 p.m. – Intermediate Pairs Short Program
4:40 p.m. – Intermediate Ladies Short Program
6:25 p.m. – Intermediate Men Short Program

Saturday, Dec. 30, 2017
3:15 p.m. – Intermediate Pairs Free Skate
5:00 p.m. – Intermediate Ladies Free Skate
6:40 p.m. – Intermediate Men Free Skate

Sunday, Dec. 31, 2017
10:00 a.m. – Juvenile Pattern Dance
5:00 p.m. – Junior Pairs Short Program
7:15 p.m. – Junior Ladies Short Program

Monday, Jan. 1, 2018
11:20 a.m. - Intermediate Pattern Dance
1:00 p.m. – Junior Men Short Program
3:30 p.m. – Juvenile Free Dance
5:00 p.m. – Novice Pattern Dance
7:00 p.m. – Novice Pairs Short Program

Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2018
9:20 a.m. – Novice Ladies Short Program
1:20 p.m. - Intermediate Free Dance
3:20 p.m. – Novice Men Short Program
5:00 p.m. – Novice Free Dance
7:50 p.m. - Novice Pairs Free Skate

SAP Center at San Jose

Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2018
5:30 p.m. - Junior Pairs Free Skate
7:00 p.m. - Junior Ladies Free Skate

Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2018
10:20 a.m. – Junior Men Free Skate
6:00 p.m. – Opening Ceremonies & Senior Ladies Short Program

Thursday, Jan. 4, 2018
10:00 a.m. - Junior Free Dance
1:00 p.m. - Senior Pairs Short Program
5:25 p.m. - Senior Men Short Program

Friday, Jan. 5, 2018
1:00 p.m. - Senior Short Dance
4:00 p.m. - Senior Ladies Free Skate

Saturday, Jan. 6, 2018
11:45 a.m. - Senior Pairs Free Skate
3:45 p.m. - Senior Men Free Skate

Sunday, Jan. 7, 2018
10:30 a.m. - Senior Free Dance
6:00 p.m. - Smucker’s Skating Spectacular

***Event schedule and venue location subject to change.***

==============

We will likely get limited TV coverage on NBC.
happyheini

Re: US Nationals overlapping the year end - San Jose, CA

Post by happyheini »

Odd that they have the skaters, especially the juniors away from home over the New Years holidays.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

happyheini wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:35 pm Odd that they have the skaters, especially the juniors away from home over the New Years holidays.
The early Nationals seem to happen in Winter Olympic seasons.
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

Yes, I thought about that. It will be such a busy skating season. For the skaters and the fans :D
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

How times have changed - this year will be the first time since 2007 that the ladies free skate has not been the Saturday "feature" on NBC-TV!

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I'm bumping this thread up since it's now quite timely :)

The event website is here: http://skatesanjose2018.com/

As posted in above, some of the event will be available to us on TV in Canada:

NBC
  • Fri, Jan. 5, 2018 - 8:00 PM - US Nat'ls Ladies FS
  • Sat, Jan. 6, 2018 - 4:00 PM - US Nat'ls Pairs FS
  • Sat, Jan. 6, 2018 - 8:00 PM - US Nat'ls Men FS
  • Sun, Jan. 7, 2018 - 3:00 PM - US Nat'ls Free Dance
  • Sat, Jan. 13, 2018 - 4:00 PM - US Nat'ls Gala
As usual, check your local schedule.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thanks for the info. I didn't see this thread when I posted in the other one (have edited it) and so thanks for bumping it up.

Four Continents is also early this year which feels kind of weird, but it's also due to the Olympics...took me a minute to figure that out! :lol:
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Here is a link to the results site for this year's US Nationals: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderbo ... sults.html

Here is a very memorable skate from the last time the US Nationals was in San Jose: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lH9mg_ZneA&t=13s
I remember that very well and was at 1996 Worlds in Edmonton to see the same program.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thanks Elizabeth...that can't help but put a smile on my face this Saturday morning. That was a wonderful moment in US Skating history! I was sorry to see the Galindo & Yamaguchi pairing break up. They had a unique approach to mirror pairs skating that was truly beautiful. I'm sure they could have won gold at Worlds or at the Olympics. However, for Rudy at least he probably wouldn't have had the men's singles success that he did so it all worked out for the best I'm sure. Who won a medal in both pairs & singles in 1972? I'm trying to think. Also, who was the oldest US men's champion? That became Todd Eldredge later didn't it?! Have you attended any U.S. National events Elizabeth or anyone else on here? I think that would be a great experience. Perhaps I will someday!
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

According to Wikipedia:
  • In 1972 Ken Shelley was the gold medalist in the US men's single event and in the pairs event, the latter with his partner JoJo Starbuck.
  • and in 1926
    Chris I. Christenson (1875–1943) was an American figure skater. He won the United States Figure Skating Championships in 1926 at 51 years old and he remains the oldest U.S. men's champion in history.

Chris Christenson was born in Norway. He and his family emigrated to the United States when he was eight years old, settling first in Wisconsin and later in St. Paul, Minnesota. He began figure skating in 1914 at age 39. He joined the Twin City Figure Skating Club (which became the Figure Skating Club of Minneapolis in 1929). Christenson went to the national championships six times between 1920 and 1926. In 1923 he was runner-up (Silver), in 1924 he finished in third place (Bronze) and in 1926 at Boston he won first place (Gold).[
I have never considered spending the $$ involved in attending a US Nationals event. I have attended several Worlds in the USA, several Skate America events as well as a Junior GP event (in Lake Placid).
Last edited by Elizabeth on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thanks for the info.! Ok, that record for age will definitely be impossible to beat!

I see what you mean about the cost...makes sense. I'm more of a Canadian traveller myself, anyway.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Speaking of Dollars, it's something like $50 US to watch the Iceworks channel online. Then there's no guarantee that it's not GEO Blocked. We are very lucky in Canada with live streaming being offered for free.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:40 pm Speaking of Dollars, it's something like $50 US to watch the Iceworks channel online. Then there's no guarantee that it's not GEO Blocked. We are very lucky in Canada with live streaming being offered for free.
IceNetwork is at least partially owned by the USFS, is based on quite old technology, and is apparently quite unreliable at times, especially the more people who are trying to watch. Many years ago I subscribed but had my $ returned because I was in Canada. People outside of the US, such as in Australia, seem to use VPN technology to "fool the computer" about their location.

We are indeed fortunate that Skate Canada uses DailyMotion for some of their live streaming for free and that the CBC makes their high quality ISU stream available for free. Unfortunately, it appears that CTV/TSN does not support live streaming, at least as far as I can see.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Oh boy. I know CTV is very protective of their material. It's sad really and frustrating for skating fans. Apparently the US Nats is not on the GEO Block list for Iceworks, but as you mentioned it does not sound like a good quality service and problematic at best. Fortunately the Olympics will be covered by CBC so we should get more live streaming then at least. The problem is being awake for the event! :lol: Elizabeth, you can manage it...me not so sure, haha.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:02 pm Fortunately the Olympics will be covered by CBC so we should get more live streaming then at least. The problem is being awake for the event! :lol: Elizabeth, you can manage it...me not so sure, haha.
The good news, regarding the Olympics, is that the US TV $$ have influenced the schedule for the figure skating events. They will be scheduled for early morning in S. Korea so that they can be on primetime TV in the Eastern USA! The bad news is that this will be very foreign schedule for the skaters who would normally practice in the early morning and then compete later in the day.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

ohhh...well, good for us, LOL. Yes, that's hard on the skaters to compete so early. Thanks for the information!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I understand that the NBC schedule for US Nationals has been changed - the men's free skate will no longer be on the NBC main network (preempted for football) but has been moved to NBCSN which we don't have access to from Canada :(
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Here is the link for the schedule, start orders and results at US Nationals: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderbo ... sults.html

The senior competition begins this evening with the ladies short program.

Apparently the ladies have been told that the decision about who will be on the Olympic team will be made after their free skate on Friday evening, they will be told but must keep it confidential - it will not be made public until the NBC Today Show on Saturday morning.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

It's a good thing it isn't long until they make the announcement. That would be a very hard secret to keep!! :mrgreen:
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Elizabeth wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:18 pm Apparently the ladies have been told that the decision about who will be on the Olympic team will be made after their free skate on Friday evening, they will be told but must keep it confidential - it will not be made public until the NBC Today Show on Saturday morning.
Oh boy.....I hope this doesn't mean they are planning to place someone on the team who doesn't medal here. I know you want to acknowledge a skater's body of work, but if there is a national championship competition, then the winners of that championship *should* be the ones to go - otherwise why bother having the championship in the first place? As much as it pained us all to watch Josee Chouinard lose her title to Jennifer Robinson and miss her last World Championships, it was the right decision for sport. We all pretty much know she would have place higher than Jennifer did that year at Worlds, but she tanked at Nationals.

I was able to see a bunch of the women's practices on youtube yesterday before the free skate. From what I'm seeing in the practices, my money is on Marai Nagasu for the title. She is absolutely NAILING the practices, with so many clean triple axels, and noticeably greater speed, power, and flow than the other American ladies. I hope the judges do not pass her over, and give proper credit at the end of the day. Without giving away any spoilers, I will say I'm very much scratching my head about which short program is in first place....
Elizabeth

Re: US Nationals - San Jose, CA

Post by Elizabeth »

I've copied below, from the results page, the top 12 after the senior ("championship") ladies SP - the first # is their current position, the second # is their start order #, the final # is the points they acquired. If you go to the actual results page and click on the + sign after their score you can see their planned program content vs what they accomplished and what they scored for it. The detailed judges scores are also available via a link at the top right on the page.

1 - 7 - Bradie Tennell, Skokie Valley SC 73.79
2 - 13 - Mirai Nagasu, Pasadena FSC 73.09
3 - 22 - Karen Chen, Peninsula SC 69.48
4 - 2 - Angela Wang, Salt Lake Figure Skating 67.00
5 - 17 - Ashley Wagner, SC of Wilmington 65.94
6 - 12 - Mariah Bell, Rocky Mountain FSC 65.18
7 - 1 - Polina Edmunds, Peninsula SC 63.78
8 - 5 - Starr Andrews, Los Angeles FSC 62.55
9 - 11 - Amber Glenn, Dallas FSC 61.62
10 - 18 - Caroline Zhang, All Year FSC 60.29
11 - 3 - Courtney Hicks, All Year FSC 57.81
12 - 6 - Hannah Miller, Lansing SC 57.57

The free skate start order is also now available from a link.

Some SP videos (and play-by-play notes) are available on RockerSkating: http://www.rockerskating.com/news/2018/ ... rt-program
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Final results of the pairs SP: Image

Final results of the men's SP: Image
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Hi. I'm not reading the whole thread at the moment as I don't want spoilers, but it looks like the Men's FS tomorrow night is pre-empted by an NFL football game with the LA Rams here. :( Of course that event is my favourite, grr. So, I'll be looking for the programs after the fact I guess. How disappointing! I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

More spoilers - this time from the short dance

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thanks for all the info. Elizabeth. I look forward to seeing the Ladies tonight. I've seen some of the programs on youtube and I have to say that they need some adjustments in terms of the mics they are using. I'm wondering if Tara & Johnny are using directional mics instead of boom mics. Anyway, the signal-noise ratio is off. In order for the viewers to hear them properly they need to have a 10-15 dB increase/gain over the background noise...sorry teacher of the deaf talking here, lol.