12 year old girl from US lands triple axel in international competition

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

12 year old girl from US lands triple axel in international competition

Post by Elizabeth »

Alysa Liu, a young lady who will not be able to compete internationally at the junior or senior level for several years has joined the list of those who have landed a triple axel in international competition - in the novice event at the Asian Open!

Here's the full list of female skaters who have had ratified triple axel firsts in international competition, to date (thanks to Jackie Wong/Rockerskating):
  • 1988: Midori Ito
  • 1991: Tonya Harding
  • 2002: Yukari Nakano
  • 2002: Ludmila Nelidina
  • 2004: Mao Asada
  • 2015: Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
  • 2016: Rika Kihira
  • 2017: Mirai Nagasu
  • 2018: Alysa Liu
Alysa Liu's free skate is here: https://youtu.be/mDX_YH9-MXI
kittykins

Re: 12 year old girl from US lands triple axel in international competition

Post by kittykins »

Wow, that's very impressive!! Also, what an impressive group to belong to! What's next for this girl, the quad?! As she's so young perhaps she will be able to up the combination. The triple axel was landed in combination too which makes it even more impressive. I wonder if any of the others did it in combination. Anyway, pretty incredible!! :o
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

It's too young, in my humble opinion. When I hear something like this I always worry about what kind of damage she may be doing to her joints. Does she do it often, presumably there were lots of attempts to get to this point. When she hits her growth spurt, she's going to loose it all anyway. Does she have a real chance at being a champion, because not too many youngsters who start out this way wind up as successes when they're old enough to compete.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Well, keep in mind she's of Asian descent, so has a better chance of maintaining her abilities. I do agree that there is a risk with overdoing it too young, but perhaps this is just natural to her.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

Lets hope she'll be alright. I don't like it, though. They are taking risks that she may suffer from later.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I guess it’s like Stephen Gogolev who’s been landing quads since he was 13. There’s a Russian female skater who sounds even better than her. I guess time will tell if they can last.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:09 pm I guess it’s like Stephen Gogolev who’s been landing quads since he was 13. There’s a Russian female skater who sounds even better than her. I guess time will tell if they can last.
Stephen is currently 13 and will be 14 in December. He has been landing quads for several years but his practice of them is strictly controlled by the folks at the Cricket Club. They are very aware of the potential issues. This is the first year that he is old enough to participate in junior competition internationally but he competed as a senior within Canada last year.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Wow. Thanks for the clarification re. Stephen. I thought he was 14 by now with all the talk about him! :mrgreen: Fortunately, Brian is smart and I'm sure he will help Stephen make good decisions about this. I understand he's been landing quads in practice for at least a year.

I know my mother who was an O.T. for 30 years saw lots of knee and other limb injuries among young women. The problem is that when they get a serious injury it often stays with them for the rest of their lives and they have to get out of competing. I think this is what you are saying Fred. I don't know that all countries are as cautious as Canada in this regard.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Check out Stephen's entry on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Gogolev
A video of Gogolev landing a triple Axel at age 10 was shared by his club in January 2015,[10] followed by a video of a landed quad Salchow in May 2015.
In February 2017 he won the advanced novice men title at 2017 Bavarian Open. He attempted a quad Salchow for the first time in international competition at this event, having included it in his free skate this season.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Ok, that's what I thought that it's been a while. What's amazing to me is that he did it SO young. I guess most of us would not think a 13 year old would already have been trying that for a few years. :o Thanks for the info. If he can avoid injury he will be a force to be reckoned with.