Post Olympics

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
happyheini

Post Olympics

Post by happyheini »

Having just returned from my vacation I have managed to catch up on all figure skating events and I am still full of wonder and admiration for all the beautiful, gutsy and emotional performances from all participants.
Before we go on to the last event of this season, the Worlds, I was wondering how many Canadian coaches had skaters at the Olympics and how many have won medals. I guess I am looking to Elizabeth our resident skating encyclopaedia for answers. If you don't know it or where to find the info it will not exist.Many thanks in advance.
Elizabeth

Re: Post Olympics

Post by Elizabeth »

Since I'm a little tied up with World Juniors and with catching up on "life" post-Olympics, I would suggest you might want to undertake your own research and share the results with us :D

I will happily provide you with some links/tools/suggestions.

First of all, go to the lists of Olympic entries (see links below). Once there, you can click on each competitor's name to get their profile on the Olympic site - if you scroll down on their profile you will find information about their coach(es) and their choreographer. In some cases the coach might be a Canadian (perhaps indicated by their training location); in other cases they may have one or more Canadian choreographers. For example, Lori Nichol & Jeff Buttle have done choreography for a number of non-Canadian skaters and I know that Lori was actually at the boards and in the Kiss n' Cry in PyeongChang. Alternatively, you might want to go directly to the skater biographies on the ISU site - see links which follow.

Here's the list of Olympic entries by discipline: If there is insufficient information on their profile (or if it is easier), you might want to go to the ISU skater biographies which are available by discipline from here: https://www.isu.org/inside-single-pair- ... iographies Sometimes the information is incomplete/misleading - as an example, the pairs team from PRK (North Korea) had choreography from Julie Marcotte (of Canada). Their information only identifies their PRK coach but Bruno Marcotte was also at the boards and in the Kiss 'n Cry with them in PyeongChang. This is not indicated anywhere, including their ISU biography: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00015041.htm

Enjoy your research!

By the way, others have mentioned the number of non-native-born competitors who had achieved citizenship in order to represent a country at the Olympics - you might notice that too in the course of your research.
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

I know, I know Elizabeth you do have a life outside of skating and sometimes we seem to take advantage of your quick and ready knowledge. I will try and see whether I can come up with some (probably basic) information. Watch this space ;)
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

No wonder there isn't any ready information available. I tried going skater by skater and that is far too time consuming and I kinda knew the result I was looking for - Brian Orser! Ravia Walia with Kaetlyn and now Patrick was quite busy too. And of course Marie-France and Patrice! So I am giving up with a new understanding of how awesome our Elizabeth is with her vast knowledge and ready information about items we never knew existed, and, and...
Anyway, this is the best I could come up with, until the next Olympics :D

https://www.outsports.com/2018/2/22/170 ... yeongchang
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Aw shucks, you'll make me blush :oops:
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I just saw Patrick Chan interviewed with Marcie McMillian on CTV Newsnet just before she signed off before noon. It was a very nice interview and he wore his gold medal. I don't know if this was on earlier but it probably won't be repeated now as she is finished for the day. However, it might be online (probably). He talked a bit about his future that he is trying to figure out. He looks happy.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Tessa and Scott are on Ellen today at 4:00 p.m. ET
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I bought the most recent International Figure Skating magazine and there's a full page spread of the Canadian Team gold medalists. I haven't read it yet but it reviews the Olympics. Hanyu is the cover story. Perhaps a new one is coming out shortly because they should be talking about Worlds by now. Anyway, it is a nice picture with happy faces of our iconic Canadian team.