Gracie Gold seeking "professional help" - coming back to competition in 2018/19 season

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Gracie Gold seeking "professional help" - coming back to competition in 2018/19 season

Post by Elizabeth »

From: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/o ... 624408001/
Gracie Gold, a two-time U.S. figure skating champion and 2014 Olympic team bronze medalist whose last name and movie star looks have captivated her sport, said Friday morning in a statement released to USA TODAY Sports that she will be taking time off five months before the next Winter Olympics "to seek some professional help.”

She did not say what kind of professional help she will be receiving.

“My passion for skating and training remains strong,” Gold said in the statement. “However, after recent struggles on and off the ice, I realize I need to seek some professional help and will be taking some time off while preparing for my Grand Prix assignments. This time will help me become a stronger person, which I believe will be reflected in my skating performances as well.”

Gold was scheduled to open her 2018 Olympic season at the Japan Open, an invitational team competition in Saitama, Japan, on Oct. 7, but she now will not attend that event. Her Grand Prix assignments, in Beijing and Grenoble, France, are both scheduled in November.

The 2018 U.S. Olympic figure skating trials are in early January, now just four months away. The 2018 Winter Olympic Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea, start Feb. 9. At no time in recent memory has a skater voluntarily taken time away from her sport at such a crucial moment. There are three women’s spots available on the 2018 U.S. Olympic figure skating team.

Gold, 22, has found herself on a precipitous and alarming 17-month-long slide since performing poorly in the long program at the 2016 world championships in Boston, falling from first place to fourth. Her decline culminated this spring and summer in a disheartening inability to land even the simplest jumps in skating shows and a U.S. Figure Skating preview camp.

Gold’s announcement comes just four days after Russian 2014 Olympic team gold medalist Julia Lipnitskaia announced her retirement at 19 after a battle with anorexia. Lipnitskaia’s mother, Daniela, told the Russian news agency Tass on Monday that her daughter was retiring after three months of treatment for the eating disorder.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
happyheini

Re: Gracie Gold seeking "professional help"

Post by happyheini »

I find it always disconcerting when "movie star looks" seem to be a factor in a skater's evaluation. The sport has evolved into such a high pressure competition and I hope Gracie gets the help she needs.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I'm very sorry to hear about Gracie Gold's difficulties with whatever she is dealing with. I am reminded of what Susan Humphreys went through and it sounds extremely similar. There is so much pressure...I cannot imagine.
Last edited by kittykins on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I'm sorry to hear Gracie is going through difficulties, but I don't think that has been a secret from anyone in the last few years. I'm glad that she is taking the time to try to gain control of her life. Her mental health is so much more important than any Olympic Games, and hopefully part of the strategy will be to minimize expectations at the Nationals and/or Olympic Games, both from herself and others.
fred

Post by fred »

We don't really know that it's "depression." It's far too often misdiagnosed in women. Lets leave it to her to tell us when she feels the time is right. I'm sure we wish her the best, regardless what it is.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Kevin wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:11 pm I'm sorry to hear Gracie is going through difficulties, but I don't think that has been a secret from anyone in the last few years. I'm glad that she is taking the time to try to gain control of her life. Her mental health is so much more important than any Olympic Games, and hopefully part of the strategy will be to minimize expectations at the Nationals and/or Olympic Games, both from herself and others.
Glad you're back Kevin! Yes, I really agree with this.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

An update today via Twitter:
US Figure Skating announces Gracie Gold has withdrawn from the '18 U.S. Championships. Gold says in statement: "I am still undergoing treatment for depression, anxiety & an eating disorder. I have not had adequate training time in order to perform at the level at which I want to"
Gracie's full statement: Image
Last edited by Elizabeth on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin

Re: Gracie Gold seeking "professional help" - still out of competition

Post by Kevin »

I'm actually relieved to hear this. Health is more important than Nationals or Olympics. I wish her all the best in her recovery.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Kevin wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:32 pm I'm actually relieved to hear this. Health is more important than Nationals or Olympics. I wish her all the best in her recovery.
I agree - I too was hoping that health would prevail.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

https://sports.yahoo.com/gracie-gold-ge ... 58782.html

Glad she's returning! It seems we had another thread on this but it's hard to search as it always says the words are "too common".
Elizabeth

Re: Gracie Gold sought "professional help" - coming back to competition in 2018/19 season

Post by Elizabeth »

Another story about Gracie's problems and her return: https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/10/ ... e-skating/