PyeongChang 2018 Olympics - FIGURE SKATING (excl. Team, Pairs & Men) - DANCE & LADIES

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

PyeongChang 2018 Olympics - FIGURE SKATING (excl. Team, Pairs & Men) - DANCE & LADIES

Post by Elizabeth »

Well, the Team Event, Pairs & Men are now history, although we may still be dissecting/recovering from the latter. In any case, I thought a new Topic/Thread for the remaining two "individual" events would be a good idea - I've copied below the various links, etc. that you might need.

Figure Skating schedule from the Olympics site: https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game ... hedule.htm From there you can find links to start orders, results, etc. Everything is listed in Korean time which is 14 hours ahead of ET.

CBC overview of full Olympic schedule, by sport (times adjusted to settings on your computer): https://olympics.cbc.ca/schedule/overvi ... y-listview

CBC & broadcast partners - TV Guide by day (times adjusted to settings on your computer): https://olympics.cbc.ca/schedule/tv-guide/#d=-1

CBC live stream schedule - follow the links from here: https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/whats-on-tv/#s=fs.

CBC Sports YouTube site: https://www.youtube.com/user/CBCSports/videos

Figure Skating - time & practice schedule (Korean time): http://www.isuresults.com/schedules/OWG ... hedule.pdf

Figure Skating - Entries by discipline/event:
Last edited by Elizabeth on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth

Re: PyeongChang 2018 Olympics - FIGURE SKATING (excl. Team, Pairs & Men) - DANCE & LADIES

Post by Elizabeth »

The draw for the short dance start positions was held: Image

Here is the full time schedule for the short dance (Korean time): http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... hedule.pdf

The ISU entries/results page for the short dance: http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... SEG007.HTM

The Olympics page entries/results page for the short dance: https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game ... 00100-.htm
Elizabeth

Re: PyeongChang 2018 Olympics - FIGURE SKATING (excl. Team, Pairs & Men) - DANCE & LADIES

Post by Elizabeth »

Looking beyond the competition to the Exhibition Gala - an official announcement/notice

So far this means:
  • top 4 pairs - Savchenko & Massot; Sui & Han; Duhamel & Radford; & Tarasova & Morosov - I strongly suspect that there might be another pair (or 2) invited
  • top 4 men - Hanya; Uno; Fernandez; Jin - will there be others invited? perhaps Cha since he is Korean?
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

For TV coverage of the short dance this evening there was initially much confusion. The folks at TSN Skate tweeted that the full event would be on TSN3/4 with CBC picking it up at 10 p.m. ET in time for the final 2 groups. CBC on air said that it would be on Sportsnet. The Sportsnet schedule had it only coming on after hockey, perhaps not until about 10:30 p.m. ET

Here's the latest TV information
:
  • There will be nothing on TSN;
  • CBC will pick it up beginning about 10 p.m. ET, in time for the last 2 groups (they include all 3 CDN couples);
  • Sportsnet will pick it up about 10:25 p.m.
If watching the live stream is an option for you, I believe the link will come up just before 8 p.m. on this page: https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/todays-events/#d=11 You should see a picture there for the short dance event - currently it says "coming up".

The ISU results page: http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... SEG007.HTM

The Olympics results page: https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game ... 00100-.htm

The timed schedule (Korean time): http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... hedule.pdf
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Oh boy that IS confusing. I thought it was to be on CBC main network at 8:00 p.m. It's not mentioned in the menu for my cable company on the TSN's, not that that means anything. I guess we'll have to see what happens at 8:00. Fortunately there's always live streaming if we get desperate. I did see 8:00 mentioned while I was watching CBC and I assumed it was on that same channel.

I also heard Scott say that he and Tessa would like to do a farewell/thank you tour and include the smaller communities. At this point it's just what they want to do...I hope it comes to fruition and that it comes here! :)

Editing to say, it's definitely going to be curling on CBC.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

CBC is confirming during their broadcast of the curling that they will show the 3 Canadian couples and have given the times. The latter are consistent with the detailed schedule linked above.

The CBC live stream should start at 7:50 p.m. - here's the link: https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/todays-ev ... ort-dance/
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

CBC showed (on a delayed basis) the last 3 couples of group 2; they are now showing group 3 - the curling finished early (and Canada won).

Here is a link to a recording of the NBC broadcast of Virtue & Moir's short dance with commentary by Terry Gannon & Tanith Belbin:
https://vimeo.com/256363664
Last edited by Elizabeth on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

So, in the end, CBC pretty much came through (since the curling finished early), showing the last 3 couples in group 2 and all of groups 3, 4 & 5 of the short dance last night. The CBC schedule shows a replay show from 3 to 5 p.m. ET today, as well as one of the free dance tomorrow.

The timed schedule for the free dance: http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... hedule.pdf

Here is the ISU start order/results page for the free dance: http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... SEG008.HTM and the Olympic one: https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game ... 00100-.htm

With respect to tonight's Canadian TV coverage - it appears, at least at the moment, that the full event will be on TSN (1, 3 & 4) with the usual "blended" coverage with other sports on CBC.

Here's hoping for no costume malfunctions in the free dance - there is enough controversy about ice dance, the judging, etc. without adding that element to the mix! I just want to see all the couples go out and skate the way they do it in practice at home every day. Clean skates, honest judging - that's what I want to see.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

So sorry for Gabriella last night - that must have been so horrifying and embarrassing, and not in any way what she dreamed their Olympic moment would be. To add insult to injury, it seems to have been seized immediately by the media and we've lost the conversation about the skating.

So.....back to the skating. I have never seen Tessa and Scott look sharper. They clearly added an extra 10% of energy and precision to their short dance, which I never thought could get any better. They are in a well deserved first place. I hope they can bring that same kind of elevation to their free program. While the French do have an emotional free skate, the Canadians truly are the superior skaters with a much more challenging set of programs and versatility. I hope that is recognized and they leave with a second gold medal (which I still feel they should have had in Sochi).

I was really struck by the obvious difference in speed/skill between Hubbel/Donohue and the other top two teams. With them skating after the leaders, the difference was painfully clear. I'm not actually sure I agree with their placement. I would have had Cappellini/Lanote in third based on their dance. I was also shocked to see both the other Canadian teams so low in the standings while Chock & Bates remained above them. Let's hope they bring it in the free!!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

As usual, we agree, Kevin :)

My question to the judging panel would be "Why did the French get higher PCS than Virtue & Moir based on what was actually skated?"

Regarding the technical and judging panels, here's who were "in charge" last night -
  • Judging panel drawn for the SD: CAN RUS UKR FRA JPN TUR ITA USA ISR.
    Not drawn and set for FD: CHN POL ESP SVK
    Tech Panel: GBR SVK KOR (same panel as for the team ice dance events)
So, this is who will be judging/available for the free dance -
  • Tech Panel: GBR SVK KOR (the same panel as for the previous 3 events)
    Confirmed judges for tonight (not drawn for SD): CHN POL ESP SVK
    And 5 drawn from the judges of the SD: CAN RUS UKR FRA JPN TUR ITA USA ISR
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Looking ahead to the ladies SP tomorrow night (Korean times, of course): Image

The top 24 will advance to the free skate.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Elizabeth wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:01 am My question to the judging panel would be "Why did the French get higher PCS than Virtue & Moir based on what was actually skated?"
Agreed. V/M clearly had better PC's. I wonder if it was a sympathy score to keep them in the conversation after the unfortunate issue they had, but maybe that's just me being optimistic.

As for the women's competition, I am predicting Mirai Nagasu as the dark horse.....
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Kevin wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:33 pm
Elizabeth wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:01 am My question to the judging panel would be "Why did the French get higher PCS than Virtue & Moir based on what was actually skated?"
Agreed. V/M clearly had better PC's. I wonder if it was a sympathy score to keep them in the conversation after the unfortunate issue they had, but maybe that's just me being optimistic.

As for the women's competition, I am predicting Mirai Nagasu as the dark horse.....
Looking at the detailed protocols, Papadakis & Cizeron received 19 perfect 10's in the PCS for a skate that they freely admitted was not their best in their interviews. (Virtue & Moir received the same number of 10's, by my count.) That's a little bit of "over the top" on my sympathy score and certainly does not reflect what was done on the ice, on the day!
https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game ... 0100--.pdf

The US media appear to agree with your assessment of Mirai ;)
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I was just coming on here to say the same thing. I don't understand how the French team could be so close to Virtue & Moir in points, and isn't there typically a penalty for a wardrobe malfunction? It scares me as it makes me think the judges are sympathetic toward the French. I just hope the best team wins and there is no biased judging that dramatically affects the final result. I sort of wonder how the judges can get away with being so free with the marks with the French with the COP.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:13 pm I was just coming on here to say the same thing. I don't understand how the French team could be so close to Virtue & Moir in points, and isn't there typically a penalty for a wardrobe malfunction? It scares me as it makes me think the judges are sympathetic toward the French. I just hope the best team wins and there is no biased judging that dramatically affects the final result. I sort of wonder how the judges can get away with being so free with the marks with the French with the COP.
Regarding a wardrobe malfunction and Papadakis/Cizeron - as I've seen it explained by Jackie Wong in relation to the Rule 515 (see below),
the costume failure was not an "adverse condition," so they can't stop program to fix it. Could have fixed it in program, but would've been bad for PCS, or if it took >10sec to fix it, would've been -1.00

The same would have applied to Min in the Team Event.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thanks. Maybe they should put in the rules that if you are exposed you MUST stop.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

At first I thought it was a failure of the hooks on Gabriella's costume. It turns out that it was a failure in the last minute sewing that was done before they went on for the warm-up! I saw this in the NBC coverage I had recorded and later Tanith mentioned it as well. Apparently they have used the same costume in practice ever since they arrived.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I thought it was funny when Carol Lane mentioned tape should be used if necessary.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:18 pm I thought it was funny when Carol Lane mentioned tape should be used if necessary.
Both dancers and ice dancers are known to use double-sided tape to prevent "exposure", especially with some of the deep-v fronts :)
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:53 pm
kittykins wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:18 pm I thought it was funny when Carol Lane mentioned tape should be used if necessary.
Both dancers and ice dancers are known to use double-sided tape to prevent "exposure", especially with some of the deep-v fronts :)
HAHA. Another amusing item...my niece's husband just sent me a photo of my 4 year old grandniece watching pairs figure skating. I guess she couldn't keep her eyes off of it. Then he sent me a video of her skating in the kitchen with her fancy play shoes. The apple does not fall far from the tree. :lol: I took her mother to 2001 Worlds...thinking she will hear about this and....

Well, I'm nervous about tonight. I hope that V & M will be able to win. I guess there's nothing to do but "shake" as Carol Lane said. I'm going to be glad when the Ladies starts tomorrow. I think that will be less stressful to watch.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

kittykins wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:48 pm Thanks. Maybe they should put in the rules that if you are exposed you MUST stop.
Honestly, I think that's a really good idea. If something happens with a costume that puts the skater at risk of embarrassment or humiliation (or violating the network's decency requirements!) then the performance should be stopped to allow them to get the matter addressed. I'm not saying they should get a free pass for it, but the referee should be able to stop the performance (with a required penalty) should someone's pride be put at risk like that.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

This just in:

Judges drawn for the free dance: SVK CAN POL JPN USA TUR RUS CHN ESP
Not drawn: UKR FRA ITA ISR

Technical panel remains the same as for the previous 3 events.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

The full event will be on TSN with CBC joining at about 9:45 p.m. ET for the final 2 groups.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thanks Elizabeth and well worded Kevin. I just got home and tuned into TSN. I think Virtue & Moir are in the best possible skating position. There's even a dance team between the French and Canadians. Talk about ideal!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

With

the

addition

of

the

two

team

medals

(a silver and a gold),

they

are

now

the

most

decorated

Olympic figure skaters

ever!

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

"20 years of magic" -- the CBC retrospective: https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/highlight ... and-scott/

Canadian skaters reflect on influence of Virtue & Moir: https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/vod/canad ... ir-legacy/