G&G Revisited

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Kevin

G&G Revisited

Post by Kevin »

Oh my goodness.....I was just cruising around on youtube, and happened across this video of Gordeeva & Grinkov's LP from Lillehammer in 1994. It's a reworking of the video quality (some 4K thingy that the poster mentions in the description). In any event, this is one of the clearest skating videos I've ever seen on youtube, and to think it was from 24 years ago! I also don't recall these particular camera angles either. Whatever, or wherever this came from, it's certainly a treat, and would not have even looked anywhere near this quality on television at the time. Set youtube to HD and go fullscreen - you will feel like you are right there on the ice with them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkIK-JTI7Ls
Elizabeth

Re: G&G Revisited

Post by Elizabeth »

Indeed a very clear video!

I remember seeing them perform this live, earlier in the Olympic season, in the Skate Canada International event here in Ottawa. They won the gold medal, of course. Good memories :)
Last edited by Elizabeth on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
fred

Post by fred »

It's a very clear picture and I get the music, but the video freezes no matter where I am on the timeline. I get no animation at all. You Tube is getting worse & worse.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

fred wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:14 am It's a very clear picture and I get the music, but the video freezes no matter where I am on the timeline. I get no animation at all. You Tube is getting worse & worse.
I didn't experience any freezing - I wonder if the situation is related to your Internet connection/speed rather than to YouTube, Fred?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Elizabeth wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:13 am I didn't experience any freezing - I wonder if the situation is related to your Internet connection/speed rather than to YouTube, Fred?
I would wonder the same thing. It's a very high quality video, so if the connection isn't fast enough, it might not buffer quickly enough to keep up with the video playing. Sometimes I've found it helpful to push "pause" at the bottom of such videos, and let the video buffer a bit before I click play again. Having said that, I didn't have an trouble with this on playing seamlessly either :(
fred

Post by fred »

Strange, it plays fine today and everything else played fine yesterday, but with the connection speed 20Mb/sec. I should have no problem. Slow speeds usually mean stop & start. This had no starting & stopping. The first frame of the video was all I'd see, although the sound was playing fine. I could click along the progress bar and see a new still image, while the music continued to play but nothing ever "moved" in the video. Just one of those things I expect.
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

This really was like being there, They must have had the camera very close to the ice because you never saw the the boards on the near side. Lets hope this year's quality is coming close to it.
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

This really was like being there, They must have had the camera very close to the ice because you never saw the the boards on the near side. Lets hope this year's quality is coming close to it.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

happyheini wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:56 pm This really was like being there, They must have had the camera very close to the ice because you never saw the the boards on the near side. Lets hope this year's quality is coming close to it.
Well, we may get video quality like this, but I guarantee we won't have pairs skating quality like this. Still the best after all these years by a country mile!