Longevity in Olympic Skating - "5-timers" club grows

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Longevity in Olympic Skating - "5-timers" club grows

Post by Elizabeth »

Pairs skaters Aljona Savchenko GER and Hao Zhang CHN are joining the small club of 5-time Olympians in figure skating!
Ice Dancers Drobiazko-Vanagas LTU will no longer feel alone :)
CarolH

Re: Longevity in Olympic Skating - "5-timers" club grows

Post by CarolH »

OH the Lithuanians, Margarita and Pavelus.......I think they were one of the most cheated/denied teams in Ice Dancing. Such quality skating every time they took to the ice. Their programs were superb!!! And then their marks would come up.......always close to the top but never where they should have been. I just remember ALWAYS being disappointed in their placings. I'm not taking the time to check for sure right now, but did they ever get on the podium at Worlds? What did the judges have against them? Any one else feel the same about them?
C
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I remember Margarita & Povilas very fondly too, Carol. I felt that they were "robbed" many times.

They did get on the Worlds podium once - they took the bronze medal in 2000 in Nice; their free dance was "Spente Le Stelle". They married later that year and retired (for the second time) in 2006.

The gold at Worlds 2000 went to Marina Anissina / Gwendal Peizerat of France with the silver going to Barbara Fusar-Poli / Maurizio Margaglio of Italy. Marie-France Dubreuil / Patrice Lauzon of Canada were 10th!
CarolH

Post by CarolH »

I attended the 2001-02 Grand Prix Final in Kitchener (in Dec. 01)and felt it was *my Olympics*. For some reason all the judges agreed *WITH ME*!!!!!
At that point I actually didn't even care what would happen in the Olympics 2 months away because I felt the judging was fair, correct and my goodness, the HAPPINESS and EXCITEMENT in the audience was UNBELIEVABLE.
Then it was reported in the newspaper the next day that the Russian bigwig (can't remember if he was a judge, or just heading up the Russian or ISU's committee) Alexander Gorshkov was furious with the results in Pairs and Ice Dance, and snorted, "THAT WILL NOT BE THE RESULTS IN THE OLYMPICS"!!!

On the podium at "My Olympics" stood:

Ladies - Irina Slutskaya --- Michelle Kwan --- Sarah Hughes

Men - Yagudin --- Plushenko ---Tim Goebel

Pairs - Sale & Pelletier ---Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze ---Xue Shen & Hongo Zhao

Dance - Bourne & Kraatz ---Anissins & Peizaret --- Drobiazko & Vanagus

If I remember correctly, the skaters had to perform 2 Free programs, and Sale & Pelletier brought back LOVE STORY and that's
how they determined what they would use in the Olympics.
Carol
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I was there too, Carol :)
CarolH

Post by CarolH »

Did you feel the same way Elizabeth?
I thought that competition was one of the best *bargains* for the skating fans.
We got 2 programs for the price of one so to speak.

I know that the Kitchener Aud is not ideal for the skaters, but as a fan it was wonderful.
We were able to get front row seats, just by calling THE AUD. Parking was free. Displays
were wonderful. Watched Allysa Czisny buy new *articulating* boots. Male Washrooms were
converted to FEMALE because of the long line-ups. As Tarasova was leaving the washroom,
she was *called out* by some women, for not washing her hands --- very theatrical "HUMPHFFF"
C
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I also have a few (assorted) memories from that event, Carol:
  • being stranded at the Aud without a vehicle and having them run out of food :( [fortunately I teamed up with someone else at my hotel, from California, for a few rides, repaying them by helping clear the snow off the car :) ]
  • a whole warm-up group of ladies coming out in blue outfits, then one of them changing into white before it was her turn to skate :)
  • sitting in the front row, across from the judges, and observing Barbara Fusar-Poli "disguising" the faults of her partner from the judges with a swishing long skirt
Regarding the two programs - from Wikipedia:
n the 2001–02 season, competitors at the Grand Prix Final performed a short program, followed by two free skating or free dance programs. This was implemented because of television coverage. Ottavio Cinquanta envisioned that the skaters would perform two new free skating programs for the season at the final and this would appeal to and help attract viewers. Instead, most skaters went back to an old free skating program for one of the free skatings. Due to the failure of this plan, the second free skating/dance was eventually removed from the Grand Prix Final.
I have attended several Grand Prix Finals, including two where the junior GPF has been part of the event (Quebec City; Barcelona). I find them like a mini-worlds with the top skaters only. I'm planning on attending the GPF in Vancouver later this year :)
Judy

Post by Judy »

I too was at the 2000Worlds in Nice and 2001 GPF.

Like you Carol, we were so hopeful the GPF results would be repeated at Olympics. Remember the"orchid" programme of Jamie and David? And do remember the snow that greeted us one night when we came out of the rink.

Thought of Margarita and Povilas when the Lithuanians entered the stadium in Korea. Loved, and agree 100% that they were consistently robbed. When the Bulgarians ( also often robbed) finally won World's, Albena went to the boards and gave her podium flowers to Margarita ( hope I'm recalling correctly that it was at Worlds in Calgary) . it was a very strong statement and classy act.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I believe you are right, Judy. The Lithuanians beat the Bulgarians in the free dance (barely) but were in 4th due to their CD & OD placements. Of course, the top free dance belonged to the Canadians who now have such a busy & successful career as coaches :)

The following are the top five from Calgary Worlds (2006) with total score, CD, OD & FD placements & scores

1 - Albena Denkova / Maxim Staviski, Bulgaria - 199.14; 1 - 38.46; 1 - 60.94; 3 - 99.74
2 - Marie-France Dubreuil / Patrice Lauzon Canada - 198.69; 2 - 38.31; 3 - 59.81; 1 - 100.57
3 - Tanith Belbin / Benjamin Agosto United States - 196.74; 3 - 37.59; 4 - 59.65; 4 - 99.50
4 - Margarita Drobiazko / Povilas Vanagas Lithuania - 195.87; 5 - 36.52; 5 - 59.60; 2 - 99.75
5 - Isabelle Delobel / Olivier Schoenfelder France - 195.44; 4 - 37.30; 2 - 60.02; 5 - 98.12