PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics - Focus on FIGURE SKATING through Team Event

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics - Focus on FIGURE SKATING through Team Event

Post by Elizabeth »

CBC overview of full Olympic schedule, by sport (times adjusted to settings on your computer): https://olympics.cbc.ca/schedule/overvi ... y-listview

CBC & broadcast partners - TV Guide by day (times adjusted to settings on your computer): https://olympics.cbc.ca/schedule/tv-guide/#d=-1

CBC live stream schedule - not yet available as far as I can see.

Figure Skating - time & practice schedule (Korean time): http://www.isuresults.com/schedules/OWG ... hedule.pdf

Figure Skating - Entries by discipline/event: The schedule/entries/results page will eventually be here: www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/owg2018/
Last edited by Elizabeth on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elizabeth

Re: PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics - Focus on FIGURE SKATING

Post by Elizabeth »

This is the schedule for figure skating events converted to Eastern Time & day (updated from the general thread):

Thursday, February 8
8 p.m. - Team Event: Men's Short Programs
9:45 p.m. - Team Event: Pairs' Short Programs

Saturday, February 10
8 p.m. - Team Event: Short Dance
9:45 p.m. - Team Event: Ladies' Short Program
11:40 p.m. - Team Event: Pairs' Free Skate

Sunday, February 11Medals Awarded
8 p.m. - Team Event: Men's Free Skate
9:10 p.m. - Team Event: Ladies' Free Skate
10:20 p.m. - Team Event: Free Dance

Tuesday, February 13
8 p.m. - Pairs' Short Program

Wednesday, February 14Medals Awarded
8 p.m. - Pairs' Free Skate

Thursday, February 15
8 p.m. - Men's Short Program

Friday, February 16Medals Awarded
8 p.m. - Men's Free Skate

Sunday, February 18
8 p.m. - Ice Dance Short Dance

Monday, February 19 - Medals Awarded
8 p.m. - Ice Dance Free Dance

Tuesday, February 20
8 p.m. - Ladies' Short Program

Thursday, February 22Medals Awarded
8 p.m. - Ladies' Free Skate

Saturday, February 24
7:30 p.m. - Exhibition Gala
Last edited by Elizabeth on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

This is where the skating will take place.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Be assured that I am NOT advertising any particular brand of anything. This is just to highlight the ONLY food products I can see that have figure skaters...namely our beloved Virtue & Moir.

Note: I've noticed that the Virtue & Moir boxes are all sold out here in the places I've looked. I guess we know who's most popular.
Last edited by kittykins on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The CBC Olympics website is: https://olympics.cbc.ca/

CBC and its broadcast partners have now posted the first portion of their TV guide for the Olympics- beginning at day minus 1 and going through February 19th: https://olympics.cbc.ca/schedule/tv-guide/#d=-1

The figure skating will be part of the "Prime Time" coverage on the CBC every evening, along with other sports. Some of the figure skating appears to be featured in its entirety on TSN or TSN2 but the information does not yet appear to be complete as some events don't appear at all.

There is no skating coverage yet shown on the French CBC schedule (or for RDS/RDS2).

Be sure to check your TV guide and the online schedule closer to the events!

I still haven't found anything for live streaming.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

A Japanese newspaper has stated that Yuzuru Hanyu will not participate in the Team Event for Japan. I think this is wise - Japan really has no chance of a medal in this event and it gives him a little longer to get back into shape for the singles competition.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Elizabeth wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:16 pm A Japanese newspaper has stated that Yuzuru Hanyu will not participate in the Team Event for Japan. I think this is wise - Japan really has no chance of a medal in this event and it gives him a little longer to get back into shape for the singles competition.
Definitely a wise choice, yet I am still worried about his physical readiness for this event. I hope he doesn't go out and try to do a program that's beyond him and suffer further injury. We make so much of "The Olympics" that it gets blown out of proportion and can really mess with people's psyches and physical well being.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I totally agree as well. It's too bad in a way that the "team event" couldn't be 2 in each disciple, but then I suppose some countries wouldn't have 2. That would help Canada no doubt! :lol:
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

CBC media release about their plans for broadcasting and streaming the Olympics: http://www.cbc.ca/mediacentre/press-rel ... chang-2018

Here are two quotes:
Broadcast Coverage

CBC will offer live broadcasts from every venue and coverage of every medal-winning moment throughout the Games, totalling 18 hours of live coverage daily across four consecutive programming blocks – Olympic Games Primetime, Olympic Games Overnight, Olympic Games Morning, and Olympic Games Hockey. Kate Beirness hosts Olympic Games Hockey, which features an experienced team of hockey analysts offering insights on the men’s and women’s ice hockey tournaments. Later in the day, Olympic Games Afternoon rebroadcasts the biggest long-form events of the previous day, with a focus on Figure Skating, Curling and Hockey. All in all, CBC will broadcast 21 hours of Olympic Games programming daily, keeping the early bird, the night owl, and everyone in between, up-to-date on what’s happening in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

In addition, broadcast partners TSN and Sportsnet will once again expand the volume of live event coverage available each day, giving Canadians multiple options as to what to watch on TV, while TLN provides the option of watching select hockey games in Italian and Spanish.
cbc.ca/olympics

The Canadian home of the Olympic Winter Games online continues to be cbc.ca/olympics, offering live and on-demand video, schedules, up-to-date results, medal table, news, Team Canada info, photo galleries and highlights. For the second consecutive Olympic Games, CBC’s website offers virtual reality technology in the form of 360-degree immersive video and a schedule of daily live VR coverage. Every minute of the action will be available via CBC’s digital coverage, with live feeds of every event, and live feeds of CBC, TSN and Sportsnet linear channels. Fans also have the option of dual-screen live video, allowing them to watch two different feeds at once.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

It's happening!

The first skaters to hit the Olympic ice in PyeongChang were the North Korean pairs team, Ryom & Kim, who had it all to themselves for a training session on Friday.

kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I've been looking through my shaw on demand feature. CBC doesn't have it in the menu, but I scrolled over to Thursday on the main network and here, which is eastern time, it says coverage starts at 7:00 p.m. and it says only figure skating with the men's and pair's SP's for the group event for the entire evening. So, that matches up with the live streaming that Elizabeth posted. NBC has all their coverage listed in the menu...seems strange that CBC is slightly disorganized that way. Anyway, check your local listings.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:20 pm I've been looking through my shaw on demand feature. CBC doesn't have it in the menu, but I scrolled over to Thursday and here, which is eastern time, it says coverage starts at 7:00 p.m. and it says only figure skating with the men's and pair's SP's for the group event for the entire evening. NBC has all their coverage listed in the menu...seems strange that CBC is slightly disorganized that way. Anyway, check your local listings.
I always try to remind everyone to always check your local listings :)

According to my on-screen guide (Bell Fibe) the Thursday night coverage begins at 7 p.m. ET and says the same thing. The on-screen guide for TSN, TSN3 and TSN4 indicate that figure skating will be included but there will also be mixed curling coverage.

Don't forget to check the CBC Olympics online guide as well - that is the one that they are in charge of :)

I think that the links for live stream and video will be here or somewhere nearby: https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/overview/
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

"Figure skating: A demanding balance of strength, precision and endurance" - an article on figure skating from the Globe & Mail with comments from Canadian athletes: https://t.co/pgMXTKeveA
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

Wow, even as a fan and knowing a bit of the difficulty you are blown away when you read this article.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Preparations are underway for the team event which we will see beginning Thursday evening - the "benches" for the 10 teams will be reduced to 5 after the completion of the short programs.

The teams entered represent: Canada; France; Germany; Israel; Italy; Japan; Olympic Athletes from Russia (OAR); People's Republic of China; Republic of Korea; United States of America.

Who will be the top 5? Who will be the athletes skating the short programs? How many of them will also skate the free programs if they end up in the top 5? Questions, we have questions....

kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I'm glad I'm not alone in wondering about how they are proceeding with this. It seems they should be a bit more upfront about it. Hopefully the skaters know. :?

I've got CBC newsnet on in the background and it's unfortunate they keep advertising "coverage beginning" on Friday sometimes and other times they say it starts 5:30 a.m. on Thursday. It would be nice if they mentioned the skating, just saying.

Ok, after posting that they are going to interview a young skater with his coach in a minute...not sure who it is...CBC Newsnet.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

NBC seems to be making an effort to increase their ratings for the Olympic figure skating - they had an item on the Today Show earlier today about judging of figure skating and will apparently be following up on the NBC Nightly News later.

Here's the online version of their story: https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/winte ... ey-n844886

=================

With respect to the team event, there is a lot of strategy involved and I think most of the teams are keeping their plans "close to the vest" until the team leaders meeting before the event begins. I know that the Canadian team members met in Vancouver at the end of Canadians to discuss their strategy :)

Some things have leaked out - for example, the fact that Yuzuru Hanyu won't be skating in the team event, preferring to put all his efforts into preparing for the singles event: https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2018 ... orser.html

It appears clear that Patrick will be on the Canadian team from his comments in this article: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ ... e37870926/ He had previously said that he would like to skate in both the SP and FS parts of the event. I guess we will soon see :)

===========================

Following up on kittykins post - The young skater interviewed on CBC News Network, along with his coach, was Jake Ellis of a Windsor, ON area skating club. There was a related article in the local newspaper: http://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/ ... ce-skaters Jake competed in Pre-Novice at the 2017 Skate Canada Challenge event.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Some more information about who is in and who is out for the Team Event is "leaking out".

The 10 teams for the SP are: Canada; France; Germany; Israel; Italy; Japan; Olympic Athletes from Russia (OAR); People's Republic of China; Republic of Korea; United States of America.

Looking at the strength of the teams across disciplines, there seems to be a bit of consensus that Canada, OAR & USA are the most likely to be on the podium with Italy and Japan likely to round out the top 5 who get to skate the FS.

This seems to be adding to the strategic choices being made. For example, the French Federation have confirmed that Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron will not participate in the team event. They will instead concentrate on preparations and adjustments for their individual event.

It appears, however, that Virtue & Moir will be skating both the SD & FD in the team event from reading this story: https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/vi ... ogram.html
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Jackie Wong, who provides "play by play" for skating competitions, is in PyeongChang and has attended some of the practices. He is posting his comments on Twitter but also collecting his notes on his website: https://t.co/YYC25u9Uqa
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Regarding the official names of skaters participating in the team event - from the ISU communications:
  • February 6, 2018 (Team Leaders Meeting) - 10:00 - Final confirmation of Skaters/Couples participating in the Team Event. The confirmation includes all skaters/couples available for participation in the Team Event.
  • February 8, 2018 - 10:00 am [PyeongChang] - Nomination by name of the Skaters participating in the Men & Pair SP Team Event
  • February 10, 2018 - 10:00 am [PyeongChang] - Nomination by name of the Skaters participating in the Ladies & Ice Dance SP/SD Team Event
  • February 11, 2018 - 13:15 [PyeongChang] - Nomination by name of the Skaters participating in the Pair Skating Free Skating Team Event.
  • February 11, 2018-15:30 [PyeongChang] - Nomination by name of the Skaters participating in the Men Single Skating, Ladies Single Skating
    and Ice Dance Free Skating/Free Dance Team Event
Last edited by Elizabeth on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Elizabeth wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:14 pm Regarding the official names of skaters participating in the team event - from the ISU communications:
  • February 8, 2018 - 10:00 am [PyeongChang] - Nomination by name of the Skaters participating in the Men & Pair SP Team Event
  • February 10, 2018 - 10:00 am [PyeongChang] - Nomination by name of the Skaters participating in the Ladies & Ice Dance SP/SD Team Event
I find it interesting that they don't have to nominate for the second half of the competition until they already know how they've scored in the first half! I would have thought the entire team would have to be declared prior to the start of the entire event.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Kevin wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:48 pm
Elizabeth wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:14 pm Regarding the official names of skaters participating in the team event - from the ISU communications:
I find it interesting that they don't have to nominate for the second half of the competition until they already know how they've scored in the first half! I would have thought the entire team would have to be declared prior to the start of the entire event.
That's part of the rules of the event as copied below from the ISU Communication #2134 - barring unforeseen circumstances, I believe those teams with multiple qualified skaters have made these strategic decisions well in advance.
5. Exchange of a Skater/Couple between the Short Program/Short Dance and Free Skating/Free Dance of the Team Event
The option of an exchange is only given to Teams, who have more than one qualified Skater/Couple for the individual Events(s) (Men
Single Skating, Ladies Single Skating, Pair Skating or Ice Dance). Only 2 spots can be exchanged after the Short Program (Man or Pair, Lady or Ice Dance or 2 individual skaters), per Team.

Any exchange within the Team Event (after the Short Program/Short Dance) has no consequences for the participating of such Skaters in the Individual events.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The Schedule/Entries/Results page for the Olympics is now available: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/owg2018/

I presume that the entries for the first day of the Team Event will be put in later today or early tomorrow.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I'm watching the mixed doubles curling and Scott Russell of CBC just announced that Canada has named Patrick Chan and Duhamel & Radford to skate their short programs in the team event which will be aired tomorrow night.

Now TSN has tweeted this:
Team Event - Order for the Men's Short:
GROUP 1
  • Jun Hwan Cha KOR
  • Paul Fentz GER
  • Chafik Besseghier FRA
  • Han Yan CHN
  • Matteo Rizzo ITA
GROUP 2
  • Patrick Chan CAN
  • Alexei Bychenko ISR
  • Nathan Chen USA
  • Mikhail Kolyada OAR
  • Shoma Uno JPN
Team Event - Order for Pairs Short:
GROUP 1
  • Kim/Kam KOR
  • Conners/Krasnopolski ISR
  • Suzaki/Kihara JPN
GROUP 2
  • Knierim/Knierim USA
  • Yu/Zhang CHN
  • Della Monica/Guarise ITA
GROUP 3
  • James/Cipres FRA
  • Duhamel/Radford CAN
  • Savchenko/Massot GER
  • Tarasova/Morozov OAR
Elizabeth

Re: PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics - Team event begins

Post by Elizabeth »

There is a lot of information available from the main Olympics figure skating page, for example, the Schedule: https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game ... hedule.htm

The Olympic page for the Team Event Mens SP (entries in skate order/results): https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game ... 001mn-.htm

The Olympic page for the Team Event Pairs SP (entries in skate order/results): https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game ... 003pr-.htm