PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics - Focus on FIGURE SKATING through Team Event

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Re: PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics - Focus on FIGURE SKATING

Post by Elizabeth »

Note that the full coverage of tonight's event is on TSN1 - CBC will only have some of the event.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

SPOILER - if you are not watching the team event ....

Ladies

and

gentlemen

the

five

teams

who

qualify

for the

free

skate

portion

are:

Canada (35); OAR (31); USA (29); JPN (26); ITA (26)

The pairs free skate will begin in about 30 minutes.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The draw for the pairs free skate is here: https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game ... 003pr-.htm

And Nova Scotian photographer David Carmichael is at the boards:
Last edited by Elizabeth on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

And in case you were wondering...

Team standings after short programs in Sochi 2014:
  • 1. Russia - 37
    2. Canada - 32
    3. USA - 27
Team standings after short programs in PyeongChang 2018:
  • 1. Canada - 35
    2. OAR - 31
    3. USA - 29
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Just announced by Skate Canada - Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir; Patrick Chan; & Gabrielle Daleman will skate the remaining free skates in the Team Event.

And here are the start orders:
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

An analysis of Day 2 from Jackie Wong (rockerskating.com): http://www.rockerskating.com/news/2018/ ... -for-third
Elizabeth

Re: PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics - Focus on FIGURE SKATING through Team Event

Post by Elizabeth »

Today's schedule with times for those representing Canada in the hunt for Gold:
Elizabeth

Re: PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics - Focus on FIGURE SKATING through Team Event

Post by Elizabeth »

And they've cut back the team boxes from 10 to 5 in preparation for the final three parts of the event.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

From TSN on Twitter:
PROGRAMMING UPDATE - Figure Skating team event will now be on TSN 4/5 in its entirety
Live stream link: https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/todays-ev ... ee-finals/
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

SPOILER -

An

historic

night

for

skating

in

Canada

and

the

very

first

medal

in

that

first

column

for

Canada

at these

Olympics!

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Did anyone else watch the skating last night in the team event?

Any thoughts about the programs? Any comments about what was done there vs. what you expect to see in the individual competition?

Do you think the team event as a "kick off" is a good idea?
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

A report on the event from IceNetwork: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/02/12/266305916
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

YAY and congrats to Canada's Team! :)

Picture from the Chronicle Herald

I managed to wake up for the medal ceremony to watch it live. What a special moment!
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Here's the "official" story from the Canadian Olympic Team website: https://olympic.ca/2018/02/11/figure-sk ... hang-2018/

And a video of the on-ice victory ceremony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbE1dQV ... e=youtu.be
Judy

Post by Judy »

Congratulations Team Canada!

Has anyone seen the actual medal ceremony in addition to the on-ice tigers? I haven't found it.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Judy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:22 pm Congratulations Team Canada!

Has anyone seen the actual medal ceremony in addition to the on-ice tigers? I haven't found it.
kittykins posted above that she woke up and saw it. I have recorded the overnight coverage from CBC but haven't watched it yet to see the ceremony. I've only seen some photos.

There will be a 2 hour recap of the figure skating event on CBC this afternoon (as they did for the first part of the competition yesterday afternoon) - perhaps they will include the medal ceremony?
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

It occurred *just before 6:00 a.m. I saw a short excerpt this morning, but I know the "recap" is this afternoon at 3:00 ET. Hopefully they show the medal ceremony afterwards. I find it frustrating that it's so hard to see this or that networks seem to find it hard to find the time to show it. It's SO important with the national anthem being played....

They also showed a feature of Gabby and also interviewed her after showing some of the Ladies' program. She did a nice job of the interview.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

They cut out the skaters after Patrick, so I'm wondering if they were trying to make room for the medal ceremony at the end...likely, but we shall see. Nope and time to send in our complaints!
Last edited by kittykins on Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:17 pm They cut out the skaters after Patrick, so I'm wondering if they were trying to make room for the medal ceremony at the end...likely, but we shall see.
Nope - no medal ceremony, just a "recap", not even the on-ice ceremony :(
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I just said the same thing...edited my message. This is ridiculous. You mean we have to get up at 5:30 a.m. everyday just to see medal ceremonies. That's really dreadful. I'm complaining to CBC.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I'm just downloading it and will post a link for folks shortly... :roll:

This is the NBC version which is the whole thing. The one I saw on CBC was very shortened and came in just as the Canadians were getting their medals. I'll look on youtube as well and see if there is anything there. What they even showed us before 6 was not acceptable anyway. If they can't show all of it on the network they can at least put it on their website. I know...I'm speaking to the converted. It's just so disappointing that we wait for soooo long for a gold and it is treated so disrespectfully.

Ok, here's what I have which I will leave up for a short time.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/z439ytv9l ... remony.mp4

http://www.mediafire.com/file/31d67bqxa ... remony.mp4 (stuffed animals)
Last edited by kittykins on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I found this video on the CBC Olympics site - all of the medals Canada received yesterday, finishing with the team gold and the anthem: https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/medal-mom ... ld-medals/

I also found this article by PJ Kwong that talks about the strategy involved in the team event for Canada this time: https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/st ... -gold.html
Last edited by Elizabeth on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Yes, that's what I saw this morning. Thanks. I was half a sleep but a little bit into it I recognized the dialogue of the commentators. I notice that in both videos the camera conveniently switches right at the "All of Us Command/Sons Command" dilemma when someone might forget :lol:. I'm sure it was a coincidence because of where that is in the anthem, but it's funny imho.
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

I also noticed that Scott removed his toque to show respect for the flag. I gues the other men were just too excited to remember, and Scott has been on a gold medal podium so many times. I am so happy for the team and hope they can carry the momentum over to the indivdiual events.