Canadian Stars on Ice 2018

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Canadian Stars on Ice 2018

Post by Elizabeth »

Stars on Ice announced today that Javier Fernandez has been added to the Canadian tour - he's the only non-Canadian member of the tour this year.

Find out more about the tour, the skaters, etc. at www.starsonice.ca
Last edited by Elizabeth on Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fred

Re: Canadian Stars on Ice tour adds international skater

Post by fred »

I'll never go to a SOI performance again after the experience I had last year. It was nothing but a 2 hour, (maybe longer0, commercial with some skating on the side. Very Gross! :evil:
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Sorry you feel that way, Fred.

CSOI has a number of sponsors that help to pay the costs of the show touring. The sponsors need to advertise, otherwise they would not put up any $$. I don't find the use of the corner screens in the arenas for that advertising takes away from the skating for me.

By the way, the tour in Canada has, in the past few years, been longer than that in the USA. That would appear to suggest that there remain sufficient fans to support the shows.

I personally value any opportunity to see live skating, whether it is a competition, a gala exhibition, or a packaged show like CSOI.
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

I too love a live performance and though I haven't been to a Stars on Ice Show in many years I still would prefer to see it live versus the very condensed and very commercial ridden TV broadcast. Good tickets to the Edmonton show are going fast and I am still not sure whether I wan t to go or not.
Elizabeth

Re: Canadian Stars on Ice tour 2018

Post by Elizabeth »

I saw this year's CSOI in Ottawa yesterday - the largest crowd in years! The only tickets still available almost a month ago were in the top (third) tier. I heard that there were 11,000 attendees! Toronto, Hamilton & London shows are all sold out, I understand.

It was a GREAT show!! It began about 10 minutes late (waiting for some of the crowd to get into the building) and lasted almost 2 & 1/2 hours (including a 20 minute intermission).

Great skating by all of our Canadian stars and the honourary Canadian :)

I had heard good reports from the Halifax show and I support everything I heard. See this if you can :!:
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

A couple of familiar gentlemen enjoying the sold out Toronto CSOI show this evening

Kurt's comment (on Twitter):
The Great Donald Jackson enjoying the show and I am enjoying retirement. What a cast! What a show !
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

Nice!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Bev Smith's review of the Canadian Stars on Ice 2018: https://bevsmithwrites.com/2018/05/06/s ... ot-ticket/
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

And PJ Kwong on this year's tour: http://pjkwong.com/fields-of-gold/
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I wish they'd added more cities this time...such a special year and with all those skaters retiring. I definitely won't be in Winnipeg in two days.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

For those who want to watch/rewatch some of the CSOI numbers (or TV retakes in Hamilton), there is a YouTube channel which currently has some available: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkTQYE ... EBQMavMk5g

I can't guarantee how long these might be up as sometimes "copyright issues" cause them to be taken down.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

An interview with Virtue & Moir, including their current tour with CSOI and future plans: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/th ... different/
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

Oh, don't keep us waiting for the next step and plans.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

For a very thorough review of the Toronto show of the Stars on Ice tour, along with some excellent photos, you might want to check out: http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.ph ... 8soicanada

There is also a link to a full photo album from the show.
Elizabeth

Re: Canadian Stars on Ice tour 2018 - TV broadcast

Post by Elizabeth »

In the CBC Holiday broadcast schedule, the 2018 Stars on Ice broadcast is listed for Thursday, December 20th at 9 p.m. (local)/8:30 p.m. in NFLD.

They also have listed the GPF Gala on Saturday, December 22nd at 3 p.m. (local)/3:30 p.m. in NFLD.

Their full holiday schedule is here:
https://www.cbc.ca/a/pdf/CBCHoliday_Sch ... LrM5bUfrxg
Elizabeth

Re: Canadian Stars on Ice 2018

Post by Elizabeth »

The Radio Canada (French) broadcast is scheduled for Friday, December 14th - check your local listings.