ISU Grand Prix 2018/19 - Qualifying for the GPF in Vancouver & general information

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

ISU Grand Prix 2018/19 - Qualifying for the GPF in Vancouver & general information

Post by Elizabeth »

The schedule for this season's Grand Prix:
  • October 19-21, 2018 - Skate America in Everett, WA, USA
  • October 26-28, 2018 - Skate Canada in Laval, QC, Canada -Tickets went on sale in November 2017 - see https://skatecanada.ca/2017/11/ticket-i ... rnational/
  • November 2-4, 2018 - Cup of China
  • November 9-11, 2018 - NHK Trophy in Hiroshima, Japan
  • November 16-18, 2018 - Rostelecom Cup in Russia
  • November 23-25, 2018 - Internationaux de France in Grenoble, France
Junior and Senior Grand Prix Final December 6-9, 2018 Vancouver, BC, Canada - schedule: https://skatecanada.ca/2018-isu-grand-p ... ing-final/

Ticket information for the GPF was released some time ago: https://skatecanada.ca/2018/01/ticket-i ... ing-final/

Tickets went on sale on January 19th, 2018 and were very popular, I understand.

Last edited by Elizabeth on Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Elizabeth

Re: ISU Grand Prix 2018/19 (the GP Final will be in Vancouver)

Post by Elizabeth »

I suspect that the small arena at UBC will be quite full for the GPF, especially with the popularity of figure skating with Japanese fans.
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

I wonder why they chose this small arena, I would think they could fill the Canucks arena (can't think of its name right now). Perhaps they'll reconsider if it doesn't conflict with the NHL schedule.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

happyheini wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:26 pm I wonder why they chose this small arena, I would think they could fill the Canucks arena (can't think of its name right now). Perhaps they'll reconsider if it doesn't conflict with the NHL schedule.
I believe part of the rationale for a smaller venue is to have it look full on TV (plus a lower cost). I think the "ship has sailed" with respect to any possible relocation since tickets have already been sold.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

For those wondering who will skate in which GP, you will have to wait a while.

The ISU GP Selection Committee will meet in June after the ISU Congress (which takes place June 4-6). The recently posted World Standings will be relevant in the decisions/selections made.
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

can't wait....
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Still waiting to hear what will happen with the "Cup of China" (the 3rd GP event of the season) since it will not be in China. South Korea was supposed to let the ISU know by June 25th about their willingness to take on this event. So far nothing has been announced.

The selections for the competitors at the GP events were supposed to be sorted out during a meeting in Toronto this week (June 26, 27 & 28). Nothing has been announced on that front yet, either, although a number of skaters have indicated that they will not be participating. The ISU has signaled that there should be an announcement tomorrow...

A very strange season!
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

Yes, Elizabeth. we may see a whole new crop of skaters at the GP events. It won't be boring...
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The ISU announced today that Helsinki, FIN will host the GP event that used to be the Cup of China.

They also announced the entries, by discipline:
Ice Dance: Image

Ladies: Image

Men: Image

Pairs: Image

An article from Skate Canada about the assignments for Canadian skaters: https://skatecanada.ca/2018/06/canadian ... -in-laval/
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

So many familiar names missing, so many new names to get used to...
I was surprised to see Carolina Kostner and Gracie Gold on the roster though.
Happy summer everyone :D
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Kevin Reynolds???? I thought he retired after Canadians??
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Kevin wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:31 pm Kevin Reynolds???? I thought he retired after Canadians??
I thought so too......
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The ISU article about the GP and the links for the downloadable lists of entries, by discipline: https://www.isu.org/news/125-grand-prix ... teParam=15
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thanks for the all the info.

I'm also surprised about Kevin Reynolds. Perhaps he feels he has a good shot at the Canadian National title and doesn't want to miss that possible opportunity.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Sui/Han have withdrawn from both of the GP events - at the moment there are 8 empty slots for pairs across the GP series. :o

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

More info on the withdrawal of Sui/Han:
Xinhua Sport: Sui still needs more time to recover: Last week, Sui had a minor fracture on her nose because she fell on the ice when they were practicing a lift. They plan on do choreography with Lori in a few week. #SuiHan are hoping to be back for competition on 4CC or sooner.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The pairs entries have been updated with the addition of two US teams but the empty slots have not yet all been filled: https://www.isu.org/docman-documents-li ... vents/file

The schedule for the GP event in Helsinki is now available: https://www.stll.fi/gp-2018/schedule-aikataulu/
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The latest entries lists, as of August 16th, have been posted - there are still a few spots to be filled:
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The entries for men, ladies & dance have been updated yet again:
There's still time for more updates before the competitions begin in October :)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

And updates today to the entries for men and ice dance:

Men - https://t.co/ISGGF5Q7ex
Ice Dance - https://t.co/BRHYgqdFwS
Elizabeth

Junior GP Final will also be in Vancouver

Post by Elizabeth »

The Junior Grand Prix Final will take place in Vancouver in conjunction with the senior one. The top finishers in each of the seven JGP events are assigned points toward qualifying for the JGP final. The top six point-getters in each discipline get to compete at the final.

The current standings in each of the disciplines can be found on the ISU site - they are updated immediately after each event:
Elizabeth

Re: ISU Grand Prix 2018/19 - updated entries - 15 Sept.

Post by Elizabeth »

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

There continue to be changes to the entry lists as we get closer to the beginning of the GP series. The latest entries, by discipline, can be found from the links here: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/figu ... re-skating

Once the series is underway, the standings, by discipline, will also be updated - links on the same page. These will determine the entries at the GPF in Vancouver.

I will create a thread for each of the individual GP events.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The seven event Junior Grand Prix has now been completed and all of the qualifiers and official alternates for the Final in Vancouver have been determined. There will be a heavy representation from Russia with multiple skaters in all but one of the disciplines.

The official results are now available here:
Elizabeth

Re: ISU Grand Prix 2018/19 - qualifying for the GPF in Vancouver

Post by Elizabeth »

The current standings in the GP series, by discipline are here:

On each of the charts you can see when the skaters will next be competing,if they have not already done their two events, and against whom.

In Ice Dance Hubbell & Donohue of the USA have won their two events and should appear at the GPF in Vancouver.